Human Capital, Product Quality, and Bilateral Trade
In this paper, I develop a quantitative, general equilibrium theory of product quality and international trade. In the model, producers make choices regarding the quality/technology of their intermediate inputs given the set of endowments they have access to. This choice affects the producers ability to produce goods domestically and internationally, thus shaping the pattern of bilateral trade. In otherwise identical countries, optimizing behavior results in: (i) the high human capital country importing a relatively small volume of goods from the low human capital country and (ii) the low human capital country importing a relatively large volume of goods from the high human capital country --- qualitatively consistent with the observed volume of bilateral trade between rich and poor countries. I quantify the theory for a sample of 77 countries and show that it explains up to 90 percent of the variation in bilateral trade; twice the amount of alternative models with no role for human capital and product quality.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manning, Willard G. & Mullahy, John, 2001.
"Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 461-494, July.
- Willard G. Manning & John Mullahy, 1999. "Estimating Log Models: To Transform or Not to Transform?," NBER Technical Working Papers 0246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Gollin, 2002.
"Getting Income Shares Right,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(2), pages 458-474, April.
- Michael E. Waugh, 2010.
"International Trade and Income Differences,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(5), pages 2093-2124, December.
- Maurice Kugler & Eric Verhoogen, 2012.
"Prices, Plant Size, and Product Quality,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 79(1), pages 307-339.
- Kugler, Maurice & Verhoogen, Eric A, 2009. "The Quality-Complementarity Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence from Colombia," CEPR Discussion Papers 7119, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kugler, Maurice & Verhoogen, Eric, 2009. "The Quality-Complementarity Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence from Colombia," IZA Discussion Papers 3932, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kugler, M., Verhoogen, E.A., 2008. "Product Quality at the Plant Level: Plant Size, Exports, Output Prices and Input Prices in Colombia," Working Papers eg0058, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2008.
- Maurice Kugler & Eric Verhoogen, 2008. "The Quality-Complementarity Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence from Colombia," NBER Working Papers 14418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Dornbusch & S. Fischer & P. A. Samuelson, 1976.
"Comparative Advantage, Trade and Payments in a Ricardian Model With a Continuum of Goods,"
178, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley & Samuelson, Paul A, 1977. "Comparative Advantage, Trade, and Payments in a Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 823-39, December.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Harry P. Bowen, 1997. "World Trade Flows, 1970-1992, with Production and Tariff Data," NBER Working Papers 5910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 1997.
"Capital-skill complementarity and inequality: a macroeconomic analysis,"
239, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & JosÈ-Victor RÌos-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 2000. "Capital-Skill Complementarity and Inequality: A Macroeconomic Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1029-1054, September.
- Anonymous, 1997. "Research Updates," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(1), February.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos, 2006. "Product quality and the direction of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 238-265, January.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-product Versus Within-product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(2), pages 646-677, May.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Technology, Geography, and Trade," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1741-1779, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed009:1204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.