Livestock Productivity In China: Data Revision And Total Factor Productivity Decomposition
Studies of total factor productivity in livestock production are rare, but when available provide useful information especially in the context of developing countries such as China where livestock is becoming more important in the domestic agricultural economy. We estimate total factor productivity (TFP) for four major livestock products in China and by employing the random coefficient frontier approach, decompose productivity growth into its technical efficiency and technical progress components. Efforts were made to adjust and augment the available livestock statistics. The results show that growth in TFP and its components varied between the 1980s and the 1990s as well as over production structures. While there is evidence of considerable technical innovation in China's livestock sector, technical efficiency improvement was relatively slow.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +6 356 9099
Fax: +6 350 5660
Web page: http://econ.massey.ac.nz/caps/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tauer, Loren W., 1994. "Do New York Dairy Farmers Maximize Profits?," Staff Papers 121318, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Fan, Shenggen & Agcaoili-Sombilla, Mercedita C., 1997. "Why do projections on China's future food supply and demand differ?:," EPTD discussion papers 22, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Frank H. Fuller & Dermot J. Hayes & Darnell B. Smith, 1999.
"Reconciling Chinese Meat Production and Consumption Data,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
99-wp210, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Frank H. Fuller & Dermot J. Hayes & Darnell B. Smith, 1999. "Reconciling Chinese Meat Production and Consumption Data," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp210, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Fuller, Frank H. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Smith, Darnell, 2000. "Reconciling Chinese Meat Production and Consumption Data," Staff General Research Papers 1318, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fan, Shenggen & Agcaoili-Sombilla, Mercedita C., 1997. "Why projections on China's future food supply and demand differ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 41(2), June.
- K.P. Kalirajan & M.B. Obwona & S. Zhao, 1996. "A Decomposition of Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Agricultural Growth before and after Reforms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 331-338.
- Chen, Jing & Rozelle, Scott, 2003. "Market Emergence And The Rise And Fall Of Backyard Hog Production In China," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21969, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- McMillan, John & Whalley, John & Zhu, Lijing, 1989. "The Impact of China's Economic Reforms on Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 781-807, August.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979.
"Frontier Production Functions and Technical Progress: A Study of General Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1977. "Frontier Production Functions and Technical Progress: A Study of Teneral Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Working Paper Series 16, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Channing Arndt & Thomas W. Hertel & Paul V. Preckel, 2003. "Bridging the Gap between Partial and Total Factor Productivity Measures Using Directional Distance Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 928-942.
- Jones, Keithly G. & Arnade, Carlos Anthony, 2003. "A Joint Livestock-Crop Multi-Factor Relative Productivity Approach," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35157, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Steinfeld, Henning & Ehui, Simeon K. & Courbois, Claude, 1999.
"Livestock to 2020: the next food revolution,"
2020 vision briefs
61, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Loren W. Tauer, 1998. "Productivity of New York Dairy Farms Measured by Nonparametric Malmquist Indices," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 234-249.
- Wen, Guanzhong James, 1993. "Total Factor Productivity Change in China's Farming Sector: 1952-1989," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 1-41, October.
- Ahmad, Munir & Boris E., Bravo-Ureta, 1995. "An econometric decomposition of dairy output growth," MPRA Paper 37678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rutherford, A. S., 1999. "Meat and milk self-sufficiency in Asia: forecast trends and implications," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 21-39, August.
- Somwaru, Agapi & Zhang, Xiaohui & Tuan, Francis C., 2003. "China'S Hog Production Structure And Efficiency," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22003, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Biswas, Basudeb & Bailey, DeeVon, 1989. "A Study of Economic Efficiency of Utah Dairy Farmers: A System Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 595-604, November.
- Swamy, P A V B, 1970.
"Efficient Inference in a Random Coefficient Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 311-23, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SWAMY: RATS procedure to compute a GLS matrix weighted estimator for a panel data set," Statistical Software Components RTS00206, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Robert W. Mead, 2003. "A Revisionist View Of Chinese Agricultural Productivity?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(1), pages 117-131, 01.
- Mergos, George J & Yotopoulos, Pan A, 1988. "Demand for Feed Inputs in the Greek Livestock Sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 1-17.
- Shon P. Williams & C. Richard Shumway, 1998. "Aggregation of data and profit maximization in Mexican agriculture," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 235-244, February.
- Bernhard Br�mmer & Thomas Glauben & Geert Thijssen, 2002. "Decomposition of Productivity Growth Using Distance Functions: The Case of Dairy Farms in Three European Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 628-644.
- Songqing Jin & Jikun Huang & Ruifa Hu & Scott Rozelle, 2002.
"The Creation and Spread of Technology and Total Factor Productivity in China's Agriculture,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 916-930.
- Jin, Songqing & Huang, Jikun & Hu, Ruifa & Rozelle, Scott, 2001. "The Creation And Spread Of Technology And Total Factor Productivity In China'S Agriculture," Working Papers 11981, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Simpson, James R. & Li, Ou, 2001. "Long-Term Projections Of China'S Supply And Demand Of Animal Feedstuffs," International Trade in Livestock Products Symposium, January 18-19, 2001, Auckland, New Zealand 14547, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Ludo Peeters & Yves Surry, 1997. "A Review Of The Arts Of Estimating Price-Responsiveness Of Feed Demand In The European Union," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 379-392.
- Nin, Alejandro & Hertel, Thomas W. & Foster, Kenneth & Rae, Allan, 2004. "Productivity growth, catching-up and uncertainty in China's meat trade," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 1-16, July.
- Loren Tauer, 2001. "Input aggregation and computed technical efficiency," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(5), pages 295-297.
- Ehui, Simeon K. & Hertel, Thomas W. & Rae, Allan N. & Nin Pratt, Alejandro, 2000. "China: Will They Buy or Sell?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 15(3).
- Kalirajan, K P & Obwona, M B, 1994. "Frontier Production Function: The Stochastic Coefficients Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(1), pages 87-96, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:mascap:23691. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.