Livestock in China: Commodity specific total factor productivity decomposition using new panel data
Studies of total factor productivity in livestock production are rare, but when available provide useful information especially in the context of developing countries such as China where livestock is becoming more important in the domestic agricultural economy. We estimate total factor productivity (TFP) for four major livestock products in China employing the stochastic frontier approach, and decompose productivity growth into its technical efficiency and technical progress components. Efforts are made to adjust and augment the available livestock statistics. The results show that growth in TFP and its components varied between the 1980s and the 1990s as well as over production structures. While there is evidence of considerable technical innovation in China's livestock sector, technical efficiency improvement has been relatively slow.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Channing Arndt & Thomas W. Hertel & Paul V. Preckel, 2003. "Bridging the Gap between Partial and Total Factor Productivity Measures Using Directional Distance Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 928-942.
- Jones, Keithly G. & Arnade, Carlos Anthony, 2003. "A Joint Livestock-Crop Multi-Factor Relative Productivity Approach," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35157, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Rutherford, A. S., 1999. "Meat and milk self-sufficiency in Asia: forecast trends and implications," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 21-39, August.
- Jin, Songqing & Huang, Jikun & Hu, Ruifa & Rozelle, Scott, 2001.
"The Creation And Spread Of Technology And Total Factor Productivity In China'S Agriculture,"
11981, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Songqing Jin & Jikun Huang & Ruifa Hu & Scott Rozelle, 2002. "The Creation and Spread of Technology and Total Factor Productivity in China's Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 916-930.
- Frank H. Fuller & Dermot J. Hayes & Darnell B. Smith, 1999.
"Reconciling Chinese Meat Production and Consumption Data,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
99-wp210, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Fuller, Frank H. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Smith, Darnell, 2000. "Reconciling Chinese Meat Production and Consumption Data," Staff General Research Papers 1318, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Frank H. Fuller & Dermot J. Hayes & Darnell B. Smith, 1999. "Reconciling Chinese Meat Production and Consumption Data," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 99-wp210, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 1996. "Technological change: Rediscovering the engine of productivity growth in China's rural economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 337-369, May.
- Somwaru, Agapi & Zhang, Xiaohui & Tuan, Francis C., 2003. "China'S Hog Production Structure And Efficiency," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22003, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Heshmati, Almas & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1999. " Parametric Approaches to Productivity Measurement: A Comparison among Alternative Models," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(3), pages 405-24, September.
- Ehui, Simeon K. & Hertel, Thomas W. & Rae, Allan N. & Nin Pratt, Alejandro, 2000. "China: Will They Buy or Sell?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 15(3).
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Hertel, Thomas W. & Foster, Kenneth A. & Rae, Allan N., 2001. "Productivity Growth And Catching-Up: Implications For China'S Trade In Livestock Products," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20590, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Nin, Alejandro & Arndt, Channing & Preckel, Paul V., 2003. "Is agricultural productivity in developing countries really shrinking? New evidence using a modified nonparametric approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 395-415, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19527. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.