Do New York Dairy Farmers Maximize Profits?
Varian's Weak Axiom of Profit Maximization was used to determine whether each of 49 New York dairy farms displayed behavior consistent with profit maximization. The results indicate that most were only moderately successful in maximizing profits. Characteristics of the farms did not strongly differentiate those that were better at maximizing profits.
|Date of creation:||May 1994|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Warren Hall, Ithaca NY 14853|
Web page: http://aem.cornell.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Varian, Hal R, 1984. "The Nonparametric Approach to Production Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 579-597, May.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- Simon, Herbert A., 1984. "On the behavioral and rational foundations of economic dynamics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 35-55, March.
- Chris Fawson & C. Richard Shumway, 1988. "A Nonparametric Investigation of Agricultural Production Behavior for U.S. Subregions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(2), pages 311-317.
- Tauer, Loren W., 1993. "Short-Run And Long-Run Efficiencies Of New York Dairy Farms," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 22(1), pages -, April.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Belbase, Krishna P., 1987. "Technical Efficiency Of New York Dairy Farms," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 16(1), pages -, April.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1991. "Symposium on Organizations and Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 15-24, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:cudasp:121318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.