Asymmetry In Raw Milk Safety Perceptions And Information: Implications For Risk In Fresh Produce Marketing And Policy
Scientific evidence clearly indicates that consumption of raw milk carries substantial disease-inducing health risks. While federal U.S. policy mandates that milk moving in interstate commerce be pasteurized; within 41 of 50 states, raw milk can be obtained for consumption. Warning labels notwithstanding, a segment of U.S. consumers pays higher prices for higher-risk raw milk than for either organic or conventional milk. The behavioral factors leading to raw milk consumption are explored. The paternalistic regulatory options for reducing the risk associated with drinking raw milk are identified. Implications for fresh produce sold directly from farms to consumers or through farmers markets are drawn.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Postal:555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bearden, William O & Etzel, Michael J, 1982. " Reference Group Influence on Product and Brand Purchase Decisions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 183-194, September.
- Herbert A. Simon & Massimo Egidi & Ricardo Viale & Robin Marris, 1992. "Economics, Bounded Rationality and the Cognitive Revolution," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 409.
- Harris, H. M. & Knutson, R. D. & French, C. E., 1973. "An Economic Analysis of Policies Protecting Small Business in the Milk Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(02), pages 23-30, December.
- Palma, Marco A. & Ribera, Luis A. & Bessler, David A. & Paggi, Mechel S. & Knutson, Ronald D., 2009. "Potential Impacts of Food Borne Ill Incidence on Market Movements and Prices of Fresh Produce in the US," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46745, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Just, David R. & Mancino, Lisa & Wansink, Brian, 2007. "Could Behavioral Economics Help Improve Diet Quality for Nutrition Assistance Program Participants?," Economic Research Report 6391, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Greene, Catherine R. & Dimitri, Carolyn & Lin, Biing-Hwan & McBride, William D. & Oberholtzer, Lydia & Smith, Travis A., 2009. "Emerging Issues in the U.S. Organic Industry," Economic Information Bulletin 58617, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Paggi, Mechel S., 2008. "An Assessment of Food Safety Policies and Programs for Fruits and Vegetables: Food-borne Illness Prevention and Food Security," 2008 NAAMIC Workshop V: New Generation of NAFTA Standards 163906, North American Agrifood Market Integration Consortium (NAAMIC).
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Just, David R., 2007.
"Health Information Availability and the Consumption of Eggs: Are Consumers Bayesians?,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Just, David R., 2004. "Health Information Availability and the Consumption of Eggs: Are Consumers Bayesians?," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19948, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Palma, Marco A. & Ribera, Luis A. & Paggi, Mechel S. & Knutson, Ronald D., 2010. "Food Safety Standards for the U. S. Fresh Produce Industry," Policy Issues 93684, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Timothy E. Josling & Donna Roberts & David Orden, 2004. "Food Regulation and Trade: Toward a Safe and Open Global System," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 347, November.
- Knutson, Ronald D. & Taylor, C. Robert & Penson, John B., Jr. & Smith, Edward G., 1990. "Economic Impacts Of Reduced Chemical Use," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 5(4).
- Frank, Robert H. & Hutchens, Robert M., 1993. "Wages, seniority, and the demand for rising consumption profiles," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 251-276, August.
- Onozaka, Yuko & Nurse, Gretchen & Thilmany, Dawn D., 2010. "Local Food Consumers: How Motivations and Perceptions Translate to Buying Behavior," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(1). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa115:116440. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.