Effectiveness of Weather Derivatives as Cross-Hedging Instrument against Climate Change: The Cases of Reservoir Water Allocation Management in Guanajuato, Mexico
Ongoing climate change will increase competition for water. Diversified demand for water—in contrast with the rigid design of water systems, institutions and infrastructure—could hinder the implementation of adaptation policies in water management for Latin American countries. In this context, weather derivatives are proposed as a complementary mechanism for the successful adoption of more efficient water allocations in irrigation districts. Weather derivatives spread risks and incorporate a better understanding of climate system behavior, strengthening irrigation districts’ ability to deal with water availability and demand. The model uses a dynamic water resource allocation model, historical precipitation and Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) scenarios to find optimal water allocation strategies for the baseline scenario and in the presence of climate change. This analysis is applied to an irrigation district located in Guanajuato, Central Mexico.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Choi, E. Kwan & Feinerman, Eli, 1993.
"Risk and Probability Premiums for Cara Utility Function,"
Staff General Research Papers
596, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Choi, E. Kwan & Feinerman, Eli, 1993. "Risk And Probability Premiums For Cara Utility Functions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Martin, Steven W. & Barnett, Barry J. & Coble, Keith H., 2001. "Developing And Pricing Precipitation Insurance," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Viaggi, D. & Raggi, M. & Bartolini, F. & Gallerani, V., 2010. "Designing contracts for irrigation water under asymmetric information: Are simple pricing mechanisms enough?," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(9), pages 1326-1332, September.
- Boulier, Jean-Francois & Huang, ShaoJuan & Taillard, Gregory, 2001. "Optimal management under stochastic interest rates: the case of a protected defined contribution pension fund," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 173-189, April.
- Vedenov, Dmitry V. & Barnett, Barry J., 2004. "Efficiency of Weather Derivatives as Primary Crop Insurance Instruments," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(03), December.
- Hacker, Scott & Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2010. "The Properties of Procedures Dealing with Uncertainty about Intercept and Deterministic Trend in Unit Root Testing," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 214, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Skees, Jerry & Hazell, P. B. R. & Miranda, Mario, 1999. "New approaches to crop yield insurance in developing countries:," EPTD discussion papers 55, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Andrew J. G. Cairns & David Blake & Kevin Dowd, 2004.
"Stochastic lifestyling: optimal dynamic asset allocation for defined contribution pension plans,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24831, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Cairns, Andrew J.G. & Blake, David & Dowd, Kevin, 2006. "Stochastic lifestyling: Optimal dynamic asset allocation for defined contribution pension plans," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 843-877, May.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Michael W. Brandt & Pedro Santa-Clara & Rossen Valkanov, 2009.
"Parametric Portfolio Policies: Exploiting Characteristics in the Cross-Section of Equity Returns,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(9), pages 3411-3447, September.
- Michael W. Brandt & Pedro Santa-Clara & Rossen Valkanov, 2004. "Parametric Portfolio Policies: Exploiting Characteristics in the Cross Section of Equity Returns," NBER Working Papers 10996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brandt, Michael W & Santa-Clara, Pedro & Valkanov, Rossen, 2005. "Parametric Portfolio Policies: Exploiting Characteristics in the Cross Section of Equity Returns," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt4ft420b6, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Olivier Mahul, 2001. "Optimal Insurance Against Climatic Experience," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 593-604.
- Benjamin Collier & Jerry Skees & Barry Barnett, 2009. "Weather Index Insurance and Climate Change: Opportunities and Challenges in Lower Income Countries," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(3), pages 401-424, July.
- Miguel Carriquiry & Daniel E. Osgood, 2008. "Index Insurance, Probabilistic Climate Forecasts, and Production," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp465, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Mario Miranda & Dmitry V. Vedenov, 2001. "Innovations in Agricultural and Natural Disaster Insurance," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 650-655.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea12:124813. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.