The Impact Of Data Aggregation On The Measurement Of Vertical Price Transmission: Evidence From German Food Prices
The impact of cross sectional aggregation over individual retail stores on the estimation and testing of vertical price transmission is investigated using a unique data set of individual retail prices. Systematic differences between the results of estimations using aggregated data on the one hand, and disaggregated data on the other, are discussed theoretically and confirmed empirically. The results suggest that results based on aggregated data generally cannot be used to draw conclusions about price transmission behaviour at the level of the individual data that underlies aggregates.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lippi, Marco, 1988. "On the dynamic shape of aggregated error correction models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 561-585.
- Milton S. Boyd & B. Wade Brorsen, 1988. "Price Asymmetry in the U.S. Pork Marketing Channel," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 10(1), pages 103-109.
- Lois Schertz Willett & Michelle R. Hansmire & John C. Bernard, 1997. "Asymmetric price response behavior of Red Delicious apples," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 649-658.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, December.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1980. "Long memory relationships and the aggregation of dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 227-238, October.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Siklos, Pierre L., 1995.
"Systematic sampling, temporal aggregation, seasonal adjustment, and cointegration theory and evidence,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 357-369.
- Granger, C.W.J. & Siklos, P.L., 1993. "Systematic Sampling, Temporal Aggregation, Seasonal Adjustment, and Cointegration: Theory and Evidence," Working Papers 93001, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics.
- Schwartz, Lisa A. & Willett, Lois Schertz, 1994. "Price Transmission Theory And Applications To Agroindustry: An Annotated Bibliography," Research Bulletins 123003, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1993. "Empirical Approaches to the Problem of Aggregation Over Individuals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1827-1874, December.
- Andrew S. Caplin & Daniel F. Spulber, 1987.
"Menu Costs and the Neutrality of Money,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 102(4), pages 703-725.
- Griffith, G. R. & Piggott, N. E., 1994.
"Asymmetry in beef, lamb and pork farm-retail price transmission in Australia,"
Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 307-316, May.
- Griffith, G.R. & Piggott, N.E., 1994. "Asymmetry in beef, lamb and pork farm-retail price transmission in Australia," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(3), May.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Davis, George C., 2000.
"Does Consistent Aggregation Really Matter?,"
Ag Econ Series
12966, Washington State University, School of Economic Sciences.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Davis, George C., 2001. "Does consistent aggregation really matter?," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(2), June.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Davis, George C., 2000. "Does Consistent Aggregation Really Matter?," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 171924, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Harper, Daniel C. & Goodwin, Barry K., 1999.
"Price Transmission, Threshold Behavior, And Asymmetric Adjustment In The U.S. Pork Sector,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21666, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Harper, Daniel C., 2000. "Price Transmission, Threshold Behavior, And Asymmetric Adjustment In The U.S. Pork Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Ted C. Schroeder, 1988. "Price linkages between wholesale and retail pork cuts," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(4), pages 359-369.
- Gourieroux,Christian & Monfort,Alain, 1997.
"Time Series and Dynamic Models,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521411462, December.
- Chang, Hui-Shung (Christie) & Griffith, Garry R., 1998. "Examining long-run relationships between Australian beef prices," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(4), December.
- Daniel H. Pick & Jeffrey Karrenbrock & Hoy F. Carman, 1990. "Price asymmetry and marketing margin behavior: An example for California-Arizona citrus," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 75-84.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1994. "Aggregation and Simple Dynamics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 905-918, September.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1996. "Aggregation without Separability: A Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 524-543, June.
- Jochen Meyer & Stephan Cramon-Taubadel, 2004.
"Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 581-611.
- Meyer, Jochen & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2002. "Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24822, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Frank Asche & Helge Bremnes & Cathy R. Wessells, 1999.
"Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 568-581.
- Asche, F. & Bremnes, H. & Wessells, C.R., 1998. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships Between Prices: an Application to World Salmon Markets," Papers 27/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Alan P. Kirman, 1992. "Whom or What Does the Representative Individual Represent?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 117-136, Spring.
- Sam Peltzman, 2000.
"Prices Rise Faster than They Fall,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 466-502, June.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998. "Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Hashem Pesaran, M., 2003. "Aggregation of linear dynamic models: an application to life-cycle consumption models under habit formation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 383-415, March.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 1991.
"A Fallacy of Composition,"
NBER Working Papers
3735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicholas J. Powers, 1995. "Sticky short-run prices and vertical pricing: Evidence from the market for iceberg lettuce," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 57-75.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:21987. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.