Alternative approaches in detecting asymmetry in farm-retail price transmission of fluid milk
Testing for asymmetric price transmission and calculating elasticities of price transmission are important areas of research for providing insights into market efficiency issues. We analyze the behavior of tests for asymmetry according to the conventional Houck approach and to the von Cramon-Taubadel and Loy error correction model (ECM) approach. We also estimate the short-run and long-run elasticities of price transmission between the farm and retail levels of the marketing channel for whole milk and 2% milk for seven U.S. cities by model specification. We employ monthly data over the period from January 1994 to October 2002. Consistent with the extant literature, empirical results suggest that the farm-retail price transmission process for milk is asymmetric. Price transmission elasticities, in conjunction with rising farm prices, are generally larger than corresponding elasticities associated with falling farm prices, but they all are quite inelastic. [JEL Classification: Q11, Q13]. © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 23: 313-331, 2007.
Volume (Year): 23 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-45, August.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992. "Threshold cointegration," Research Paper 9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Balke-Fomby threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00010, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Douglas J. Miller & Marvin L. Hayenga, 2001. "Price Cycles and Asymmetric Price Transmission in the U.S. Pork Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 551-562.
- Benaissa Chidmi & Rigoberto A. Lopez & Ronald W. Cotterill, 2005.
"Retail oligopoly power, dairy compact, and Boston milk prices,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 477-491.
- Chidmi, Benaissa & Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Cotterill, Ronald W., 2004. "Retail Oligopoly Power, Dairy Compact, And Boston Milk Prices," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 083, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Chidmi, Benaissa & Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Cotterill, Ronald W., 2004. "Retail Oligopoly Power, Dairy Compact, And Boston Milk Prices," Research Reports 25212, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Borenstein, Severin & Cameron, A Colin & Gilbert, Richard, 1997.
"Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 305-39, February.
- Severin Borenstein & A. Colin Cameron, 1992. "Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?," NBER Working Papers 4138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sam Peltzman, 1998.
"Prices Rise Faster Than They Fall,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
142, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Griffith, G. R. & Piggott, N. E., 1994. "Asymmetry in beef, lamb and pork farm-retail price transmission in Australia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 307-316, May.
- Lass, Daniel A. & Adanu, Mawunyo & Allen, P. Geoffrey, 2001. "Impacts Of The Northeast Dairy Compact On New England Retail Prices," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(1), April.
- Kenneth W. Bailey, 2003. "Impact of the Northeast Interstate Dairy Compact on Consumer Prices for Fluid Milk," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 108-122.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 1999. "Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 630-637.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Ping Zhang & Stanley M. Fletcher & Dale H. Carley, 1995. "Peanut price transmission asymmetry in peanut butter," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 13-20.
- Varaporn Punyawadee & Milton S. Boyd & Merle D. Faminow, 1991. "Testing for Asymmetric Pricing in the Alberta Pork Market," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(3), pages 493-501, November.
- Frigon, Mathieu & Doyon, Maurice & Romain, Robert F.J., 1999. "Asymmetry in Farm-Retail Price Transmission in the Northeastern Fluid Milk Market," Research Reports 25220, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Daniel H. Pick & Jeffrey Karrenbrock & Hoy F. Carman, 1990. "Price asymmetry and marketing margin behavior: An example for California-Arizona citrus," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 75-84.
- Lois Schertz Willett & Michelle R. Hansmire & John C. Bernard, 1997. "Asymmetric price response behavior of Red Delicious apples," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 649-658.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999.
"Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001. "Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Samarendu Mohanty & E. Wesley F. Peterson & Nancy Cottrell Kruse, 1995. "Price Asymmetry in the International Wheat Market," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 43(3), pages 355-366, November.
- Bailey, DeeVon & Brorsen, B. Wade, 1989. "Price Asymmetry In Spatial Fed Cattle Markets," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(02), December.
- Hahn, William F., 1990. "Price Transmission Asymmetry in Pork and Beef Markets," Journal of Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 4.
- Bernard, John C. & Willett, Lois Schertz, 1996. "Asymmetric Price Relationships In The U.S. Broiler Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:23:y:2007:i:3:p:313-331. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.