Computable General Equilibrium Assessments of Fiscal Sustainability in Norway
The chapter demonstrates how the computable general equilibrium model MSG6, combined with special models of government expenditures, has been used to assess the long-run fiscal sustainability in Norway. The simulations suggest that Norway faces a severe fiscal sustainability problem in the long run, despite an exceptionally strong fiscal position at present. This result is found to be relatively robust to exogenous variations in productivity growth, petroleum prices, longevity, immigration and the health of the elderly. The chapter also discusses the fiscal effects of various policy responses, including the pension reform of 2011, improvements in the standards of public health services and care for the elderly, as well as a tighter fiscal policy rule. The simulation experiments demonstrate that general equilibrium mechanisms contribute significantly to the total effects.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling with number
v:1:y:2013:i:c:p:105-158.||Handle:|| RePEc:eee:hacchp:v:1:y:2013:i:c:p:105-158||Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://store.elsevier.com/Handbook-of-Computable-General-Equilibrium-Modeling/isbn-9780444536341/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fehr, Hans, 1999.
"Pension reform during the demographic transition,"
W.E.P. - Würzburg Economic Papers
8, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Cronin, David & Daniel McCoy,, 2000. "Fiscal Sustainability When Time is on Your Side," Research Technical Papers 4/RT/00, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Benz, Ulrich & Fetzer, Stefan, 2004. "Indicators for Measuring Fiscal Sustainability: A Comparative Application of the OECD-Method and Generational Accounting," Discussion Papers 118, Institut für Finanzwissenschaft, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg.
- Torben M. Andersen & Lars Haagen Pedersen, 2006. "Financial Restraints in a Mature Welfare State--The Case of Denmark," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 313-329, Autumn.
- Fehr, Hans & Habermann, Christian, 2006.
"Pension reform and demographic uncertainty: the case of Germany,"
Journal of Pension Economics and Finance,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 69-90, March.
- Habermann, Christian & Fehr, Hans, 2003. "Pension Reform and Demographic Uncertainty : The Case of Germany," W.E.P. - Würzburg Economic Papers 47, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- A. Roux, 1993. "The Public Debt: A Medium-term Perspective," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 61(4), pages 10-29, December.
- Beetsma, Roel & Bettendorf, Leon & Broer, Peter, 2003.
"The budgeting and economic consequences of ageing in the Netherlands,"
Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 987-1013, September.
- Roel Beetsma, 2001. "The Budgeting and Economic Consequences of Ageing in The Netherlands," CESifo Working Paper Series 630, CESifo Group Munich.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Dagsvik, John K & Strom, Steinar, 1995. " Labor Supply Responses and Welfare Effects of Tax Reforms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 635-59, December.
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 2003.
"An evaluation of the performance of applied general equilibrium models of the impact of NAFTA,"
320, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 2003. "An Evaluation of the Performance of Applied General Equilibrium Models of the Impact of NAFTA," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000525, David K. Levine.
- Erling Holmøy & Kyrre Stensnes, 2008. "Will the Norwegian pension reform reach its goals? An integrated micro-macro assessment," Discussion Papers 557, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Klette, Tor Jakob, 1999.
"Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 451-76, December.
- Klette, T.J., 1998. "Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data," Memorandum 15/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Martin Feldstein, 2005.
"Structural Reform of Social Security,"
NBER Working Papers
11098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Persson, Mats, 2002.
"The Gains from Pension Reform,"
712, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Olav Bjerkholt, 2009. "The making of the Leif Johansen multi-sectoral model," History of Economic Ideas, Fabrizio Serra Editore, Pisa - Roma, vol. 17(3), pages 103-126.
- N. G. Mankiw., 2009.
"The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 5.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," NBER Working Papers 12349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2121, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- K. Mc Morrow & W. R�ger, 2002. "EU pension reform - An overview of the debate and an empirical assessment of the main policy reform options," European Economy - Economic Papers 162, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Lans Bovenberg & Thijs Knaap, 2005. "Ageing, Funded Pensions and the Dutch Economy," CESifo Working Paper Series 1403, CESifo Group Munich.
- Steigum, E.Jr., 1992. "Accounting for Long-Run Effects of Fiscal Policy by Means of Computable Overlapping Generations Models," Papers 05-92, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Erling Holmøy & Torbjørn Hægeland, 1997. "Aggregate Productivity Effects of Technology Shocks in a Model of Heterogeneous Firms: The Importance of Equilibrium Adjustments," Discussion Papers 198, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Fehr, H. & Sterkeby, W.I. & Thogersen, O., 2000.
"Social Security Reforms and Early Retirement,"
16/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Kyrre Stensnes, 2007. "Equity versus Efficiency in Public Pension Schemes. Microsimulating the Trade-off," Discussion Papers 515, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 2005.
"The value of life and the rise in health spending,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Feldstein, Martin, 2005. "Structural Reform of Social Security," Scholarly Articles 2794830, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Miles, David K, 1997.
"Modelling the Impact of Demographic Change Upon the Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miles, David, 1999. "Modelling the Impact of Demographic Change upon the Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(452), pages 1-36, January.
- Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer, 2010. "Johansen's contribution to CGE modelling: originator and guiding light for 50 years," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-203, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Kent Smetters & Jan Walliser, 2001. "Finding a Way Out of America's Demographic Dilemma," NBER Working Papers 8258, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bjerkholt, Olav, 1998. "Interaction between model builders and policy makers in the Norwegian tradition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 317-339, July.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff, Kent Smetters, and Jan Walliser, 2001. "The Coming Generational Storm," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 276, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jagadeesh Gokhale & Bernd Raffelhüschen, 1999. "Population aging and fiscal policy in Europe and the United States," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 10-20.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hacchp:v:1:y:2013:i:c:p:105-158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.