Banning subtherapeutic antibiotics in U.S. swine production: a simulation of impacts on industry structure
Recent discussions of a subtherapeutic antibiotic ban in U.S. livestock gives rise to much speculation regarding industry impacts. Swine producers are heterogeneous; thus, a ban on subtherapeutic antibiotics could affect producers of different sizes, cost structures, different production systems and management styles differently. The authors combine average cost data with physical production data to simulate the impact of a subtherapeutic antibiotics ban on high, middle, and low-cost producers in different types of swine production operations. Their results suggest that although economies of scale would still be important, the ban would potentially limit or reduce economies of scale in the swine industry. [JEL Codes: L11, Q12, Q13]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Xuanli & Miller, Gay Y. & McNamara, Paul E., 2003. "Do Antibiotics Reduce Production Risk For U.S. Pork Producers?," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22026, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dermot J. Hayes & Helen H. Jensen, 2003.
"Lessons from the Danish Ban on Feed-Grade Antibiotics,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
03-bp41, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Jensen, Helen H., 2003. "Lessons from the Danish Ban on Feed-Grade Antibiotics," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(3).
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Jensen, Helen H., 2003. "Lessons from the Danish Ban on Feed-Grade Antibiotics," Staff General Research Papers 11284, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Jensen, Helen H. & Backstrom, Lennart & Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2001.
"Economic Impact Of A Ban On The Use Of Over The Counter Antibiotics In U.S. Swine Rations,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(01).
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Jensen, Helen H. & Backstrom, Lennart & Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2001. "Economic Impact of a Ban on the Use of Over the Counter Antibiotics in U.S. Swine Rations," Staff General Research Papers 5139, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Norwood, F. Bailey & Pruitt, J. Ross, 2006.
"Consumer Demand for a Ban on Antibiotic Drug Use in Pork Production,"
2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida
35273, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Jayson L. Lusk & F. Bailey Norwood & J. Ross Pruitt, 2006. "Consumer Demand for a Ban on Antibiotic Drug Use in Pork Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 1015-1033.
- Miller, Gay Y. & Liu, Xuanli & McNamara, Paul E. & Bush, Eric J., 2005. "Farm-Level Impacts of Banning Growth- Promoting Antibiotic Use in U.S. Pig Grower/Finisher Operations," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 23(2).
- James M MacDonald & Michael E Ollinger, 2000. "Scale Economies and Consolidation in Hog Slaughter," Working Papers 00-03, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Lehenbauer, Terry & Ji, Dasheng & Connor, Joseph, 2002.
"Economic Impacts Of Banning Subtherapeutic Use Of Antibiotics In Swine Production,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Lehenbauer, Terry & Ji, Dasheng & Connor, Joseph, 2001. "Economic Impacts Of Banning Subtherapeutic Use Of Antibiotics In Swine Production," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36166, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Mark A. Wade & Andrew P. Barkley, 1992. "The economic impacts of a ban on subtherapeutic antibiotics in swine production," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 93-107.
- Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr., 2001. "Antimicrobial Drug Use And Veterinary Costs In U.S. Livestock Production," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33695, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- McBride, William D. & Key, Nigel D., 2003. "Economic And Structural Relationships In U.S. Hog Production," Agricultural Economics Reports 33971, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:3:p:314-330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.