Sub-therapeutic Antibiotics and Productivity in U.S. Hog Production
Antimicrobial drugs are fed to hogs at sub-therapeutic levels to prevent disease and promote growth. However, there is concern that the presence of antimicrobial drugs in hog feed is a factor promoting the development of antimicrobial drug-resistant bacteria. This study uses a sample-selection model to examine the impact that use has on the productivity of U.S. hog operations. The analysis did not find a relationship between productivity and sub-therapeutic antibiotics fed during finishing, but productivity was significantly improved when fed to nursery pigs. Restrictions on feeding antimicrobial drugs during the nursery phase would likely impose significant economic costs on U.S. hog producers.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McBride, William D. & Key, Nigel D., 2003. "Economic And Structural Relationships In U.S. Hog Production," Agricultural Economics Reports 33971, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Jensen, Helen H. & Backstrom, Lennart & Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2001.
"Economic Impact Of A Ban On The Use Of Over The Counter Antibiotics In U.S. Swine Rations,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(01).
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Jensen, Helen H. & Backstrom, Lennart & Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2001. "Economic Impact of a Ban on the Use of Over the Counter Antibiotics in U.S. Swine Rations," Staff General Research Papers 5139, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Lehenbauer, Terry & Ji, Dasheng & Connor, Joseph, 2002.
"Economic Impacts Of Banning Subtherapeutic Use Of Antibiotics In Swine Production,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Lehenbauer, Terry & Ji, Dasheng & Connor, Joseph, 2001. "Economic Impacts Of Banning Subtherapeutic Use Of Antibiotics In Swine Production," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36166, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Nigel Key & William McBride, 2003. "Production Contracts and Productivity in the U.S. Hog Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 121-133.
- Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr., 2001. "Antimicrobial Drug Use And Veterinary Costs In U.S. Livestock Production," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33695, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea06:21148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.