Do Antibiotics Reduce Production Risk for U.S. Pork Producers?
We combine econometric and financial analyses of the NAHMS 2000 Swine Survey data to examine whether evidence exists for reducing risk by using antibiotics for growth promotion (AGP) in the U.S. swine industry. A stochastic dominance analysis of alternative lengths of time (days) of AGP application reveals that AGP used in the range of 65â€”75 days is preferred by risk-averse producers. Risk is reduced and profits are increased from use of AGP. The combined impacts of increased average daily gain and decreased variability in pig live weight increase producer profits by $2.99 per pig marketed.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey Lapan & Giancarlo Moschini, 1994.
"Futures Hedging Under Price, Basis, and Production Risk,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(3), pages 465-477.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Moschini, GianCarlo, 1994. "Futures Hedging Under Price, Basis and Production Risk," Staff General Research Papers 10041, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David E. Sahn & David C. Stifel, 2002. "Robust Comparisons of Malnutrition in Developing Countries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 716-735.
- Dermot J. Hayes & Helen H. Jensen & Lennart Backstrom, 1999. "Economic Impact of a Ban on the Use of Over-the-Counter Antibiotics," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-sr90, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:42785. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.