Microeconometric analysis of wine grape supply contracts in Australia
This paper examines wine grape supply contracts used in the main grape growing regions of Australia. An empirical analysis provides insight into specific aspects of contract design and implementation. Statistical analyses of sample data reveal differences between regions in contract specifications. Lower quality grape growing regions place a greater reliance on grape quality assessment to determine bonus/penalty payments compared to higher quality regions. Contracts in higher quality regions place greater emphasis on explicit winery involvement and direction in vineyard management. Results indicate that longer duration contracts are more inclusive in terms of the number of clauses included. Evidence of risk shifting (i.e., winery to grower) for high quality grapes is reported, where the price received by growers is determined by the bottle price of the wine produced. Copyright 2005 Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society Inc. and Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd..
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 49 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8489
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://ordering.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/subs.asp?ref=1467-8489&doi=10.1111/(ISSN)1467-8489|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alston, Julian M. & Smith, Vincent H., 1983. "Some Economic Implications of Minimum Pricing: The Case of Wine Grapes in Australia: Comment," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(02), August.
- Tsoulouhas, Theofanis & Vukina, Tomislav, 2000.
"Regulating Broiler Contracts: Tournaments Versus Fixed Performance Standards,"
2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL
21833, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Theofanis Tsoulouhas & Tomislav Vukina, 2001. "Regulating Broiler Contracts: Tournaments Versus Fixed Performance Standards," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 1062-1073.
- Silke Boger, 2001. "Quality and contractual choice: a transaction cost approach to the polish hog market," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(3), pages 241-262, October.
- Peter Bogetoft & Henrik Ballebye Olesen, 2002. "Ten rules of thumb in contract design: lessons from Danish agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(2), pages 185-204, June.
- James A. Chalfant & Richard J. Sexton, 2002. "Marketing Orders, Grading Errors, and Price Discrimination," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 53-66.
- Rachael Goodhue & Dale Heien & Hyunok Lee & Daniel Sumner, 2003.
"Contracts and Quality in the California Winegrape Industry,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 267-282, December.
- Rachael E. Goodhue & Dale M. Heien & Hyunok Lee & Daniel A. Sumner, 2003. "Contracts and Quality in the California Winegrape Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 23(3_4), pages 267-282, December.
- Crocker, Keith J & Masten, Scott E, 1991.
"Pretia ex Machina? Prices and Process in Long-Term Contracts,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(1), pages 69-99, April.
- Crocker, K.J. & Masten, S.E., 1988. "Pretia Ex Machina?: Prices And Process In Long-Term Contracts," Papers 10-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Fraser, Iain, 2003. "The Role of Contracts in Wine Grape Supply Coordination: An Overview," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 11.
- Michael E. Sykuta & Michael L. Cook, 2001. "A New Institutional Economics Approach to Contracts and Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1273-1279.
- Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Eidman, Vernon R., 1998. "The Effect Of Risk And Autonomy On Independent Hog Producers' Contracting Decisions," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), July.
- Digal, Larry N. & Ahmadi-Esfahani, Fredoun Z., 2002. "Market power analysis in the retail food industry: a survey of methods," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(4), December.
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan, 1999.
"Producer Price Risk and Quality Measurement,"
Staff General Research Papers
5037, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Chalfant, James A. & James, Jennifer S. & Lavoie, Nathalie & Sexton, Richard J., 1999. "Asymmetric Grading Error And Adverse Selection: Lemons In The California Prune Industry," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Rachael E. Goodhue, 1999. "Input Control in Agricultural Production Contracts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 616-620.
- Rachael E. Goodhue, 2000. "Broiler Production Contracts as a Multi-Agent Problem: Common Risk, Incentives and Heterogeneity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 606-622.
- Hennessy, David A. & Lawrence, John D., 1999. "Contractual Relations, Control, and Quality in the Hog Sector," Staff General Research Papers 1706, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Kym, 2001. "Where In The World Is The Wine Industry Going?," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 125531, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Theofanis Tsoulouhas & Tomislav Vukina, 1999. "Integrator Contracts with Many Agents and Bankruptcy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 61-74.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:ajarec:v:49:y:2005:i:1:p:23-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.