Contractual Arrangements in Agriculture (Northern and Central Luzon Component)
This study aimed to characterize and analyze the various contractual arrangements in selected agricultural commodities in parts of Central and Northern Luzon. Specifically, the objectives are to : i) characterize the nature, process and degree of various agricultural contracts involved in the production and marketing of mangoes, hogs, rice and selected vegetables and, ii) analyze the implications of the various contracting arrangements in these commodities in terms of efficiency and equity. The research sites for this study consist of major producing provinces of the four specified commodities in selected parts of Northern and Central Luzon regions. For mango, Calasiao and San Carlos in Pangasinan, Iba and Masinloc in Zambales and Munoz in Nueva Ecija served as the study areas. For lowland vegetables, the municipalities of Talavera, Aliaga and San Jose City in Nueva Ecija, were primarily selected as study sites being major producers of eggplant, tomato, okra, onions and other vegetables. For hogs, Talavera, Munoz and San Jose City in Nueva Ecija where integrators and key informants are located constitute the sites of the study. The nature, process and degree of the different contracting systems in the four selected agricultural commodities have been diverse. In most cases, however, the different contracts were outcomes of the farmers need to adjust to the different production and market conditions surrounding the agricultural sector. The pervasiveness of sharecropping in many agricultural crops such as mango, rice and vegetables underscore the farmers difficulty in raising capital, due to missing credit and insurance markets. The associated risks, seasonality and specialized nature of agricultural production have likewise complicated the production processes and patterns of contracts in these commodities. Access to credit and marketing institutions and functioning of insurance markets are essential for the transformation of subsistence-oriented asset-poor farmers.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theofanis Tsoulouhas & Tomislav Vukina, 1999. "Integrator Contracts with Many Agents and Bankruptcy," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 61-74.
- Sherstyuk, Katerina, 2000. " Performance Standards and Incentive Pay in Agency Contracts," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(4), pages 725-36, December.
- Alston, Lee J. & Higgs, Robert, 1982. "Contractual Mix in Southern Agriculture since the Civil War: Facts, Hypotheses, and Tests," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(02), pages 327-353, June.
- Hueth, Brent & Wolf, Stephen & Ligon, Ethan, 2001. "Policing Mechanisms in Agricultural Contracts," Staff General Research Papers 5257, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Pierre Dubois, 1999.
"Moral Hazard, Land Fertility and Sharecropping in a Rural Area of the Philippines,"
99-30, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Dubois, Pierre, 2002. "Moral hazard, land fertility and sharecropping in a rural area of the Philippines," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 35-64, June.
- Arnab K. Basu, 2002. "Oligopsonistic Landlords, Segmented Labor Markets, and the Persistence of Tied-Labor Contracts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 438-453.
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan, 1999.
"Producer Price Risk and Quality Measurement,"
Staff General Research Papers
5037, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gavian, Sarah & Ehui, Simeon, 1999. "Measuring the production efficiency of alternative land tenure contracts in a mixed crop-livestock system in Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 20(1), January.
- Ackerberg, D.A. & Botticini, M., 1999.
"Endogenous Matching and the Empirical Determinants of Contract Form,"
96, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg & Maristella Botticini, 2002. "Endogenous Matching and the Empirical Determinants of Contract Form," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(3), pages 564-591, June.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg & Maristella Botticini, 1999. "Endogenous Matching and the Empirical Determinants of Contract Form," Papers 0096, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg & Maristella Botticini, 1999. "Endogenous Matching and the Empirical Determinants of Contract Form," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 92, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Gavian, Sarah & Ehui, Simeon, 1999. "Measuring the production efficiency of alternative land tenure contracts in a mixed crop-livestock system in Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 37-49, January.
- Schmitz, Patrick W. & Sliwka, Dirk, 2001.
"On synergies and vertical integration,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1281-1295, September.
- Michael E. Sykuta & Michael L. Cook, 2001. "A New Institutional Economics Approach to Contracts and Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1273-1279.
- Peter Bogetoft & Henrik Ballebye Olesen, 2002. "Ten rules of thumb in contract design: lessons from Danish agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(2), pages 185-204, June.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Pandey, Priyanka, 2000. "Contract choice in agriculture with joint moral hazard in effort and risk," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 303-326, December.
- H. Peyton Young & Mary A. Burke, 2001. "Competition and Custom in Economic Contracts: A Case Study of Illinois Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 559-573, June.
- Stanley, Denise L., 2002. "Efficiency and equity tradeoffs: incentive-compatible contracts revisited," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 309-331, April.
- Ahmed, Mohamed M. & Gebremedhin, Berhanu & Benin, Samuel & Ehui, Simeon, 2002. "Measurement and sources of technical efficiency of land tenure contracts in Ethiopia," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 507-527, July.
- Rachael E. Goodhue, 2000. "Broiler Production Contracts as a Multi-Agent Problem: Common Risk, Incentives and Heterogeneity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 606-622.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:develo:22626. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.