Marketing natural pork: An empirical analysis of consumers in the mountain region
The demand for organic meats, including beef and chicken, has grown dramatically in recent years. Yet, there are few branded pork products. This research examines the potential market for natural pork in the Intermountain West, with emphasis on targeting the market segment most likely to purchase this product at a significant premium. High-income, frequent pork consumers, and those that have purchased natural beef are most likely to purchase natural pork products. With respect to production-related attributes, those concerned about feed additives, and to a lesser degree, the effects of pork production on the environment, are likely target markets. [Econ-Lit subject codes: M310, Q130] © 2002 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 18 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eklöf, Jan & Karlsson, Sune, 1997. "Testing and Correcting for Sample Selection Bias in Discrete Choice Contingent Valuation Studies," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 171, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 23 Jun 1999.
- Moon, Wanki & Ward, Ronald W., 1999. "Effects Of Health Concerns And Consumer Characteristics On U.S. Meat Consumption," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21682, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Buzby, Jean C. & Ready, Richard C. & Skees, Jerry R., 1995. "Contingent Valuation In Food Policy Analysis: A Case Study Of A Pesticide-Residue Risk Reduction," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, J. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 2003.
"Cvm-X: Calibrating Contingent Values with Experimental Auction Markets,"
Staff General Research Papers
11935, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John A. Fox & Jason F. Shogren & Dermot J. Hayes & James B. Kliebenstein, 1998. "CVM-X: Calibrating Contingent Values with Experimental Auction Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 455-465.
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, Jason F. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1998. "Cvm-X: Calibrating Contingent Values with Experimental Auction Markets," Staff General Research Papers 1311, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Caswell, Julie A. & Mojduszka, Eliza M., 1996.
"Using Informational Labeling To Influence The Market For Quality In Food Products,"
25989, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Julie A. Caswell & Eliza M. Mojduszka, 1996. "Using Informational Labeling to Influence the Market for Quality in Food Products," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1248-1253.
- Huang, Chung L, 1996. "Consumer Preferences and Attitudes towards Organically Grown Produce," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 331-42.
- Gary D. Thompson & Julia Kidwell, 1998. "Explaining the Choice of Organic Produce: Cosmetic Defects, Prices, and Consumer Preferences," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 277-287.
- Anya M. McGuirk & Warren P. Preston & Amy McCormick, 1990. "Toward the development of marketing strategies for food safety attributes," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 297-308.
- Gregory A. Baker & Peter J. Crosbie, 1994. "Consumer preferences for food safety attributes: A market segment approach," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 319-324.
- Sukant Misra & Donna Grotegut & Kyle Clem, 1997. "Consumer attitude toward Recombinant Porcine Somatotropin," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 11-20.
- Duram, Leslie A., 1998. "Organic Agriculture in the United States: Current Status and Future Regulation," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 13(2).
- Patrick J. Byrne & J. Richard Bacon & Ulrich C. Toensmeyer, 1994. "Pesticide residue concerns and shopping location likelihood," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 491-501.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:18:y:2002:i:4:p:475-489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.