Rural Land Use: Traditional Agriculture or Forestry?
The signing of the Kyoto Protocol and the official recognition of forestry’s capacity to sequester carbon has prompted considerable interest, within the European Union, in forestry as a competing land use application. However, despite large increases in grants to forestry, afforestation rates, in certain EU countries, are below national targets. In this paper, we employ a real options model to theoretically explain why farmers may be slow to switch land from traditional agriculture to forestry. The theoretical model is then used to motivate an empirical dynamic panel data model and both models are applied to Irish data.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brent Sohngen & Robert Mendelsohn, 2003. "An Optimal Control Model of Forest Carbon Sequestration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 448-457.
- Andrew J. Plantinga & Douglas J. Miller, 2001. "Agricultural Land Values and the Value of Rights to Future Land Development," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(1), pages 56-67.
- Behan, Jasmine & McQuinn, Kieran, 2003. "Projecting Net Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Irish Agriculture and Forestry," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2003(1-Spring), pages 1-11.
- Siobhan McCarthy & Alan Matthews & Brendan Riordan, 2002. "Determinants of Private Afforestation in the Republic of Ireland," Trinity Economics Papers 20023, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Alig, Ralph J. & Adams, Darius M. & McCarl, Bruce A., 1998.
"Impacts Of Incorporating Land Exchanges Between Forestry And Agriculture In Sector Models,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(02), December.
- Alig, Ralph J. & Adams, Darius M. & McCarl, Bruce A., 1998. "Impacts of Incorporating Land Exchanges Between Forestry and Agriculture in Sector Models," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(02), pages 389-401, December.
- Abebayehu Tegene & Keith Wiebe & Betsey Kuhn, 1999. "Irreversible Investment Under Uncertainty: Conservation Easements and the Option to Develop Agricultural Land," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 203-219.
- Bruce A. McCarl & Uwe A. Schneider, 2000. "U.S. Agriculture's Role in a Greenhouse Gas Emission Mitigation World: An Economic Perspective," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 22(1), pages 134-159.
- Stavins, Robert N & Jaffe, Adam B, 1990. "Unintended Impacts of Public Investments on Private Decisions: The Depletion of Forested Wetlands," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 337-352, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)