Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions
Starting from existing static decompositions of overall economic efficiency on nonparametric production and cost frontiers, this article proposes more comprehensive decompositions including several cost-based notions of capacity utilization. Furthermore, in case prices are lacking, we develop additional decompositions of overall technical efficiency integrating a technical concept of capacity utilization. These new efficiency decompositions provide a link between short and long run economic analysis and, in empirical work, avoid conflating inefficiency and differences in capacity utilization. An empirical analysis using a monthly panel of Chilean hydro-electric power plants illustrates the potential of these decomposition proposals.
Volume (Year): 44 (2012)
Issue (Month): 31 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Coelli, Tim & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Perelman, Sergio, 2002. "Capacity utilisation and profitability: A decomposition of short-run profit efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 261-278, October.
- COELLI, Tim & GRIFELL-TATJE, Emili & PERELMAN, Sergio, 2001. "Capacity utilisation and profitability: a decomposition of short run profit efficiency," CORE Discussion Papers 2001052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Coelli, Tim & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Perelman, Sergio, 2002. "Capacity Utilization and Profitability: A Decomposition of Short Run Profit Efficiency," Efficiency Series Papers 2002/01, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1985. " Nonparametric Cost Approach to Scale Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(4), pages 594-604.
- Tone, Kaoru & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2003. "Scale, indivisibilities and production function in data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 165-192, May.
- Bye, Torstein & Bruvoll, Annegrete & Aune, Finn Roar, 2008. "Inflow shortages in deregulated power markets -- Reasons for concern?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1693-1711, July.
- J. Colin Glass & Gillian McCallion & Donal McKillop & Syamarlah Rasaratnam & Karl Stringer, 2009. "Best-practice benchmarking in UK higher education: new nonparametric approaches using financial ratios and profit efficiency methodologies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 249-267.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979. "Generalised Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 294-315, June.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1978. "Generalized Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Working Paper Series 17, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Hulten, Charles R., 1986. "Productivity change, capacity utilization, and the sources of efficiency growth," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 31-50.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Lovell, C A Knox, 1983. " The Structure of Technical Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 181-190.
- Grosskopf, S, 1986. "The Role of the Reference Technology in Measuring Productive Efficiency," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(382), pages 499-513, June.
- Toshiyuki Sueyoshi, 1999. "DEA Duality on Returns to Scale (RTS) in Production and Cost Analyses: An Occurrence of Multiple Solutions and Differences Between Production-Based and Cost-Based RTS Estimates," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(11), pages 1593-1608, November.
- Scott E. Atkinson & Jeffrey H. Dorfman, 2009. "Feasible estimation of firm-specific allocative inefficiency through Bayesian numerical methods," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 675-697.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H., 2005. "Feasible Estimation of Firm-Specific Allocative Inefficiency through Bayesian Numerical Methods," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19402, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- E. Grifell-Tatjé & C.A.K. Lovell, 2000. "Cost and productivity," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 19-30.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Research Note. Decomposing Technical Efficiency with Care," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(1), pages 167-168, January.
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2000. " The Malmquist Productivity Index and Plant Capacity Utilization," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(2), pages 303-310, June.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, Kristiaan, "undated". "The Malmquist productivity index and plant capacity utilisation," Working Papers 2000020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel & Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "A Survey of Functional Forms in the Economic Analysis of Production," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters,in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 4 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010. "Tangency capacity notions based upon the profit and cost functions: A non-parametric approach and a general comparison," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1156-1166, September.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010. "Tangency Capacity Notions Based upon the Profit and Cost Functions: A Non-Parametric Approach and a General Comparison," Working Papers 2010/04, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- W. Briec & K. Kerstens & D. Prior & I. Van de Woestyne, 2010. "Tangency capacity notions based upon the profit and cost functions : a non-parametric approach and a general comparison," Post-Print halshs-00507068, HAL.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Morrison, Catherine J, 1981. "Capacity Utilization Measures: Underlying Economic Theory and an Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 48-52, May.
- Dale Squires, 1987. "Long-Run Profit Functions for Multiproduct Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 69(3), pages 558-569.
- Rowland, William W. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Schurle, Bryan W. & Featherstone, Allen M., 1998. "A Nonparametric Efficiency Analysis for a Sample of Kansas Swine Operations," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 189-199, July.
- Rowland, William W. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Schurle, Bryan W. & Featherstone, Allen M., 1998. "A Nonparametric Efficiency Analysis For A Sample Of Kansas Swine Operations," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), July.
- Nelson, Randy A, 1989. "On the Measurement of Capacity Utilization," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 273-286, March.
- Maarit Kallio & Markku Kallio, 2002. "Nonparametric Methods for Evaluating Economic Efficiency and Imperfect Competition," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 171-189, September.
- Wesley D. Seitz, 1970. "The Measurement of Efficiency Relative to a Frontier Production Function," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 52(4), pages 505-511.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-666, August.
- Caves, Richard E., 2007. "In praise of the Old I.O," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-12, February.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1990. "On the measurement of economic capacity utilization for multi-product industries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 347-361, June.
- John McDonald, 1996. "Note: A Problem with the Decomposition of Technical Inefficiency into Scale and Congestion Components," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(3), pages 473-474, March.
- M. Pollitt, 2004. "Electricity reform in Chile. Lessons for developing countries," Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Intersentia, vol. 5(3), pages 221-263, September.
- Pollitt, M.G., 2004. "Electricity Reform in Chile: Lessons for Developing Countries," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0448, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Michael Pollitt, 2004. "Electricity Reform in Chile Lessons for Developing Countries," Working Papers 0416, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Fare, Rolf & Obel, Borge, 2006. "Allocative efficiency of technically inefficient production units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 450-462, January.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Fare, Rolf, 1999. "Allocative Efficiency of Technically Inefficient Production Units," Unit of Economics Working papers 24217, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Seitz, Wesley D, 1971. "Productive Efficiency in the Steam-Electric Generating Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 878-886, July-Aug..
- Bert Balk, 2001. "Scale Efficiency and Productivity Change," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 159-183, May.
- Kelvin Balcombe & Sophia Davidova & Laure Latruffe, 2008. "The use of bootstrapped Malmquist indices to reassess productivity change findings: an application to a sample of Polish farms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(16), pages 2055-2061.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2006. "The Use of Bootstrapped Malmquist Indices to Reassess Productivity Change Findings: An Application to a Sample of Polish Farms," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25793, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bonin, John P & Jones, Derek C & Putterman, Louis, 1993. "Theoretical and Empirical Studies of Producer Cooperatives: Will Ever the Twain Meet?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1290-1320, September.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1995. "Measurement of Capacity Utilization for Revenue-Maximizing Firms," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 77-84, January.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2006. "Direct And Indirect Measures Of Capacity Utilization: A Non-Parametric Analysis Of Us Manufacturing," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 526-548, 07.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2005. "Direct and Indirect Measures of Capacity Utilization: A Nonparametric Analysis of U.S. Manufacturing," Working papers 2005-36, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1993. "Capacity Utilization under Regulatory Constraints," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 76-85, February.
- Pascoe, Sean & Tingley, Diana, 2006. "Economic capacity estimation in fisheries: A non-parametric ray approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 124-138, May.
- J. M. Cassels, 1937. "Excess Capacity and Monopolistic Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 426-443.
- Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications (I): The Theory of Production," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, volume 1, number fuss1978.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1985. "Primal and Dual Capacity Utilization: An Application to Productivity Measurement in the U.S. Automobile Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 312-324, October.
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2000. "Benchmarking and regulation: international electricity experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 107-130, September.
- Lawrence R. Klein, 1958. "The Measurement of Capacity," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 49, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kirkley, Jim, 2000. "Multi-output Capacity Measures and Their Relevance for Productivity," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 101-112, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:44:y:2012:i:31:p:4125-4141. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.