Tangency capacity notions based upon the profit and cost functions: A non-parametric approach and a general comparison
This contribution provides a way to define and compute a tangency notion of economic capacity based upon the relation between the various directional distance functions and the profit and cost functions using non-parametric technologies. A new result relating profit and cost function-based tangency capacity notions is established.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holland, D. S. & Lee, S. T., 2002. "Impacts of random noise and specification on estimates of capacity derived from data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 10-21, February.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem, 2003. "Commissioned Paper: Capacity Management, Investment, and Hedging: Review and Recent Developments," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(4), pages 269-302, July.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1996.
"The LeChatelier Principle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 173-179, March.
- Ana Rodríguez-Álvarez & C. A. Knox Lovell, 2004. "Excess capacity and expense preference behaviour in National Health Systems: an application to the Spanish public hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 157-169.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-666, August.
- Lawrence R. Klein, 1958. "The Measurement of Capacity," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 49, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Nelson, Randy A, 1989. "On the Measurement of Capacity Utilization," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 273-286, March.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2006.
"Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 351-364.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2005. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," Working Papers 2005-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- S. Blancard & J.Ph. Boussemart & W. Briec & K. Kerstens, 2006. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," Post-Print hal-00211159, HAL.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1995. "Measurement of Capacity Utilization for Revenue-Maximizing Firms," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 77-84, January.
- Paul Nightingale & Tim Brady & Andrew Davies & Jeremy Hall, 2003. "Capacity utilization revisited: software, control and the growth of large technical systems," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 477-517, June.
- John B. Walden & James E. Kirkley & Andrew W. Kitts, 2003. "A Limited Economic Assessment of the Northeast Groundfish Fishery Buyout Program," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(3), pages 426-439.
- Szenberg, Michael & Ramrattan, Lall & Gottesman, Aron A. (ed.), 2006. "Samuelsonian Economics and the Twenty-First Century," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199298839, December.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H., 2005.
"Feasible Estimation of Firm-Specific Allocative Inefficiency through Bayesian Numerical Methods,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19402, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Scott E. Atkinson & Jeffrey H. Dorfman, 2009. "Feasible estimation of firm-specific allocative inefficiency through Bayesian numerical methods," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 675-697.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- J. M. Cassels, 1937. "Excess Capacity and Monopolistic Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 426-443.
- Lawrence J. Christiano, 1981. "A Survey of Measures of Capacity Utilization (Mesures de l'utilisation des capacitÃ©s de production) (Estudio de mediciones de utilizaciÃ³n de la capacidad)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(1), pages 144-198, March.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Ciaran Driver, 2000. "Capacity Utilisation and Excess Capacity: Theory, Evidence, and Policy," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 16(1), pages 69-87, February.
- Coelli, Tim & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Perelman, Sergio, 2002.
"Capacity Utilization and Profitability: A Decomposition of Short Run Profit Efficiency,"
Efficiency Series Papers
2002/01, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Coelli, Tim & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Perelman, Sergio, 2002. "Capacity utilisation and profitability: A decomposition of short-run profit efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 261-278, October.
- COELLI, Tim & GRIFELL-TATJE, Emili & PERELMAN, Sergio, 2001. "Capacity utilisation and profitability: a decomposition of short run profit efficiency," CORE Discussion Papers 2001052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Kwansoo Kim, 2007. "Measurement and Sources of Economies of Scope: A Primal Approach," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 163(3), pages 411-427, September.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2006.
"Direct And Indirect Measures Of Capacity Utilization: A Non-Parametric Analysis Of Us Manufacturing,"
University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 526-548, 07.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2005. "Direct and Indirect Measures of Capacity Utilization: A Nonparametric Analysis of U.S. Manufacturing," Working papers 2005-36, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Prior, Diego, 2003. "Long- and short-run non-parametric cost frontier efficiency: An application to Spanish savings banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 655-671, April.
- Maarit Kallio & Markku Kallio, 2002. "Nonparametric Methods for Evaluating Economic Efficiency and Imperfect Competition," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 171-189, September.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Göran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Fuss, Melvyn A., 1986. "Productivity measurement with adjustments for variations in capacity utilization and other forms of temporary equilibrium," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 7-29.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1990. "On the measurement of economic capacity utilization for multi-product industries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 347-361, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:27:y:2010:i:5:p:1156-1166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.