Tangency capacity notions based upon the profit and cost functions: A non-parametric approach and a general comparison
This contribution provides a way to define and compute a tangency notion of economic capacity based upon the relation between the various directional distance functions and the profit and cost functions using non-parametric technologies. A new result relating profit and cost function-based tangency capacity notions is established.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1995. "Measurement of Capacity Utilization for Revenue-Maximizing Firms," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 77-84, January.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2005.
"Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions,"
2005-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2006. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 351-364.
- John B. Walden & James E. Kirkley & Andrew W. Kitts, 2003. "A Limited Economic Assessment of the Northeast Groundfish Fishery Buyout Program," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(3), pages 426-439.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1990. "On the measurement of economic capacity utilization for multi-product industries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 347-361, June.
- Paul Milgrom & John Roberts, .
"The LeChatelier Principle,"
95007, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Coelli, Tim & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Perelman, Sergio, 2002.
"Capacity utilisation and profitability: A decomposition of short-run profit efficiency,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 261-278, October.
- COELLI, Tim & GRIFELL-TATJE, Emili & PERELMAN, Sergio, 2001. "Capacity utilisation and profitability: a decomposition of short run profit efficiency," CORE Discussion Papers 2001052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Nelson, Randy A, 1989. "On the Measurement of Capacity Utilization," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 273-86, March.
- Maarit Kallio & Markku Kallio, 2002. "Nonparametric Methods for Evaluating Economic Efficiency and Imperfect Competition," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 171-189, September.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Kwansoo Kim, 2007. "Measurement and Sources of Economies of Scope: A Primal Approach," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 163(3), pages 411-427, September.
- Scott E. Atkinson & Jeffrey H. Dorfman, 2009.
"Feasible estimation of firm-specific allocative inefficiency through Bayesian numerical methods,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 675-697.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H., 2005. "Feasible Estimation of Firm-Specific Allocative Inefficiency through Bayesian Numerical Methods," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19402, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Prior, Diego, 2003. "Long- and short-run non-parametric cost frontier efficiency: An application to Spanish savings banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 655-671, April.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2006.
"Direct And Indirect Measures Of Capacity Utilization: A Non-Parametric Analysis Of Us Manufacturing,"
University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 526-548, 07.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2005. "Direct and Indirect Measures of Capacity Utilization: A Nonparametric Analysis of U.S. Manufacturing," Working papers 2005-36, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Fuss, Melvyn A., 1986. "Productivity measurement with adjustments for variations in capacity utilization and other forms of temporary equilibrium," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 7-29.
- Holland, D. S. & Lee, S. T., 2002. "Impacts of random noise and specification on estimates of capacity derived from data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 10-21, February.
- Paul Nightingale & Tim Brady & Andrew Davies & Jeremy Hall, 2003. "Capacity utilization revisited: software, control and the growth of large technical systems," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 477-517, June.
- Lawrence J. Christiano, 1981. "A Survey of Measures of Capacity Utilization (Mesures de l'utilisation des capacitÃ©s de production) (Estudio de mediciones de utilizaciÃ³n de la capacidad)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(1), pages 144-198, March.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem, 2003. "Commissioned Paper: Capacity Management, Investment, and Hedging: Review and Recent Developments," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(4), pages 269-302, July.
- Lawrence R. Klein, 1958. "The Measurement of Capacity," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 49, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Ana Rodr�guez-�lvarez & C. A. Knox Lovell, 2004. "Excess capacity and expense preference behaviour in National Health Systems: an application to the Spanish public hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 157-169.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-66, August.
- Szenberg, Michael & Ramrattan, Lall & Gottesman, Aron A. (ed.), 2006. "Samuelsonian Economics and the Twenty-First Century," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199298839, March.
- Ciaran Driver, 2000. "Capacity Utilisation and Excess Capacity: Theory, Evidence, and Policy," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 69-87, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:27:y:2010:i:5:p:1156-1166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.