Temporal Technical and Profit Efficiency Measurement: Definitions, Duality and Aggregation Results
The shortage function, an important tool in production theory, measures potential increases in outputs and decreases in inputs for a given direction g at a given date. To develop a temporal version of technical efficiency measurement, we introduce the concept of a temporal shortage function. This temporal efficiency measure is easily computed using linear programming. We also establish a duality result stating that the temporal profit function and the temporal shortage function are dual to one another. This result has two consequences. First, one can derive a shadow price path via the shadow prices of the temporal shortage function. Second, transposing the classic Farrell inefficiency decomposition, temporal profit efficiency is decomposed into temporal technical and temporal allocative efficiency components. Finally, in line with the recent literature on aggregation over firms, this contribution treats the possibilities and limits of the aggregation of efficiency measures over time.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Production Economics, September 2006, 103(1), pp. 48-63|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, rue de la Digue, FR-59000 Lille|
Web page: http://www.ieseg.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Rolf Fare & Shawna Grosskopf & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2008. "Aggregation of Nerlovian profit indicator," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 845-847.
- Elvira Silva & Spiro Stefanou, 2003. "Nonparametric Dynamic Production Analysis and the Theory of Cost," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 5-32, January.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 2000. "Theory and Application of Directional Distance Functions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 93-103, March.
- Tulkens, H. & Vanden Eeckaut, P., .
"Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1132, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tulkens, Henry & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1995. "Non-parametric efficiency, progress and regress measures for panel data: Methodological aspects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 474-499, February.
- TULKENS, Henry & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1993. "Non-Parametric Efficiency, Progress and Regress Measures for Panel Data : Methodological Aspects," CORE Discussion Papers 1993016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Sengupta, Jati K., 1999. "A dynamic efficiency model using data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 209-218, September.
- Walter Briec & Benoit Dervaux & Hervé Leleu, 2003. "Aggregation of Directional Distance Functions and Industrial Efficiency," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 79(3), pages 237-261, 07.
- Fare,Rolf & Grosskopf,Shawna & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 1993.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521420334, Junio.
- Edward Jaenicke, 2000. "Testing for Intermediate Outputs in Dynamic DEA Models: Accounting for Soil Capital in Rotational Crop Production and Productivity Measures," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 247-266, November.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Page, John M, Jr, 1982. "Total Factor Productivity Growth, Technological Progress and Technical Efficiency Change: Dimensions of Productivity Change in Yugoslavia, 1965-78," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 920-36, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ies:wpaper:e200501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monika Marin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.