A DEA estimation of a lower bound for firms' allocative efficiency without information on price data
In this paper, we estimate a lower bound for the sum of firms' allocative efficiencies in the absence of information on prices. For this purpose, we only estimate technical efficiency at both the firm and the industry level using a directional distance function and choosing a relevant direction. Our result relies on the decomposition of overall inefficiency into technical and allocative inefficiency at both the firm and the industry level. The convexity of a technology induces a transfer from both total technical inefficiency and part of allocative inefficiency at the firm level to technical inefficiency solely at the industry level. The remaining firms' allocative inefficiency could be counted at the industry level. Hence, the difference between technical inefficiencies at both levels can be interpreted as a lower bound for the sum of allocative inefficiency in the industry. We show how to implement this bound in a DEA framework.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodriguez-Alvarez, Ana & Fernandez-Blanco, Victor & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 2004. "Allocative inefficiency and its cost:: The case of Spanish public hospitals," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 99-111, November.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo & Post, Thierry, 2002. "Non-parametric production analysis in non-competitive environments," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 279-294, December.
- Luenberger, David G., 1992. "Benefit functions and duality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 461-481.
- Briec, W. & Lemaire, B., 1999. "Technical efficiency and distance to a reverse convex set," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 178-187, April.
- W. Briec & C. Comes & K. Kerstens, 2006.
"Temporal technical and profit efficiency measurement: Definitions, duality and aggregation results,"
- Briec, Walter & Comes, Christine & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2006. "Temporal technical and profit efficiency measurement: Definitions, duality and aggregation results," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 48-63, September.
- Walter Briec & Christine Comes & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2005. "Temporal Technical and Profit Efficiency Measurement: Definitions, Duality and Aggregation Results," Working Papers 2005-ECO-01, IESEG School of Management.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Li, Sung-Ko, 1992. " Linear Programming Models for Firm and Industry Performance," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(4), pages 599-608.
- W. Briec, 1997. "A Graph-Type Extension of Farrell Technical Efficiency Measure," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 95-110, March.
- Halme, Merja & Joro, Tarja & Koivu, Matti, 2002. "Dealing with interval scale data in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 22-27, February.
- Ylvinger, Svante, 2000. "Industry performance and structural efficiency measures: Solutions to problems in firm models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 164-174, February.
- Subhash C. Ray & Lei Chen & Kankana Mukherjee, 2008.
"Input Price Variation Across Locations and a Generalized Measure of Cost Efficiency,"
2008-11, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Ray, Subhash C. & Chen, Lei & Mukherjee, Kankana, 2008. "Input price variation across locations and a generalized measure of cost efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 208-218, December.
- Walter Briec & Benoit Dervaux & Hervé Leleu, 2003. "Aggregation of Directional Distance Functions and Industrial Efficiency," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 79(3), pages 237-261, 07.
- Rodriguez-Alvarez, Ana & Tovar, Beatriz & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2007. "Firm and time varying technical and allocative efficiency: An application to port cargo handling firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 149-161, September.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:121:y:2009:i:1:p:203-211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.