Capacity and Capacity Utilization in Fishing Industries
Excess capacity of fishing fleets is one of the most pressing problems facing the world's fisheries and the sustainable harvesting of resource stocks. Considerable confusion persists over the definition and measurement of capacity and capacity utilization in fishing. Fishing capacity and capacity utilization, rather than capital (or effort) utilization, provide the appropriate framework. This paper provides both technological-economic and economic definitions of capacity and excess capacity in fishing and illustrates the technological-economic approach through a case study using Data Envelopment Analysis.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Betancourt,Roger R. & Clague,Christopher K., 2008. "Capital Utilization," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521070287, October.
- Lawrence R. Klein, 1958. "The Measurement of Capacity," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 49, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1995. "Measurement of Capacity Utilization for Revenue-Maximizing Firms," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 77-84, January.
- Kalirajan, K P & Salim, R A, 1997. "Economic Reforms and Productive Capacity Realisation in Bangladesh: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 387-403, December.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Morrison, Catherine J, 1981. "Capacity Utilization Measures: Underlying Economic Theory and an Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 48-52, May.
- Dale Squires, 1987. "Long-Run Profit Functions for Multiproduct Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 69(3), pages 558-569.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-66, August.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Fuss, Melvyn A., 1989. "Economic capacity utilization and productivity measurement for multiproduct firms with multiple quasi-fixed inputs," Working papers 3001-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1985. "Primal and Dual Capacity Utilization: An Application to Productivity Measurement in the U.S. Automobile Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 312-24, October.
- Lawrence R. Klein & Virginia Long, 1973. "Capacity Utilization: Concept, Measurement, and Recent Estimates," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 4(3), pages 743-764.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsdec:qt6k91b50v. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.