Measuring Fishing Capacity: An Application To In North Pacific Groundfish Fisheries
This research provides estimates of fishing capacity for the pollock fishery of the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands using DEA and stochastic frontier techniques. Capacity estimates are computed and compared under various model specifications, as well as before and after passage of the American Fisheries Act, which allowed for cooperatives in the pollock fishery.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas M. Larson & Brett W. House & Joseph M. Terry, 1998. "Bycatch Control in Multispecies Fisheries: A Quasi-rent Share Approach to the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands Midwater Trawl Pollock Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 778-792.
- Kirkley, James E & Squires, Dale, 1999. "Capacity and Capacity Utilization in Fishing Industries," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6k91b50v, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-66, August.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1990. "On the measurement of economic capacity utilization for multi-product industries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 347-361, June.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1985.
"On the Economic Interpretation and Measurement of Optimal Capacity Utilization with Anticipatory Expectations,"
NBER Working Papers
1536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1985. "On the Economic Interpretation and Measurement of Optimal Capacity Utilization with Anticipatory Expectations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 295-310, April.
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1995. "Measurement of Capacity Utilization for Revenue-Maximizing Firms," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 77-84, January.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1993. "Capacity Utilization under Regulatory Constraints," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 76-85, February.
- Coggins, Jay S. & Swinton, John R., 1996.
"The Price of Pollution: A Dual Approach to Valuing SO2Allowances,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 58-72, January.
- JAY S. COGGINS & John R. Swinton, 1994. "The Price of Pollution: A Dual Approach to Valuing SO2 Allowances," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 378, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Kalirajan, K P & Salim, R A, 1997. "Economic Reforms and Productive Capacity Realisation in Bangladesh: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 387-403, December.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1985. "Primal and Dual Capacity Utilization: An Application to Productivity Measurement in the U.S. Automobile Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 312-24, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea00:21815. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.