Non-convex Technologies and Cost Functions: Definitions, Duality and Nonparametric Tests of Convexity
This contribution is the first systematic attempt to develop a series of nonparametric, deterministic technologies and cost functions without maintaining convexity. Specifically, we introduce returns to scale assumptions into an existing non-convex technology and, dual to these various technologies, define non-convex cost functions. These non-convex cost functions are never lower than their convex counterparts. Both non-convex technologies and cost functions (total, ray-average and marginal) are characterised by simple, closed form expressions. Furthermore, a local duality result is established between a local cost function and the input distance function. Finally, nonparametric goodness-of-fit tests for the convexity axiom are developed. This is a first step towards making convexity a statistically testable hypothesis.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999.
"A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 294-318, October.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1999. "A Generalized Distance Function and the Analysis of Production Efficiency," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 422, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Peter Bogetoft & Joseph M. Tama & Jørgen Tind, 2000. "Convex Input and Output Projections of Nonconvex Production Possibility Sets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(6), pages 858-869, June.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Wibe, Soren A, 1984. "Engineering Production Functions: A Survey," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(204), pages 401-411, November.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979. "Generalised Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 294-315, June.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1978. "Generalized Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Working Paper Series 17, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Varian, Hal R, 1984. "The Nonparametric Approach to Production Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 579-597, May.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1995. "On Nonparametric Supply Response Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(1), pages 80-92.
- Seitz, Wesley D, 1971. "Productive Efficiency in the Steam-Electric Generating Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 878-886, July-Aug..
- Ramey, Valerie A, 1991. "Nonconvex Costs and the Behavior of Inventories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 306-334, April.
- Bert Balk, 2001. "Scale Efficiency and Productivity Change," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 159-183, May.
- M. J. Farrell, 1959. "The Convexity Assumption in the Theory of Competitive Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 377-377.
- Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications (I): The Theory of Production," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, volume 1, number fuss1978.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Lovell, C A Knox, 1983. " The Structure of Technical Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 181-190.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1978. "Testing neoclassical production theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 87-102, February.
- Grosskopf, S, 1986. "The Role of the Reference Technology in Measuring Productive Efficiency," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(382), pages 499-513, June.
- Fare, Rolf & Li, Sung Ko, 1998. "Inner and outer approximations of technology: a data envelopment analysis approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 622-625, March.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Thomas L. Cox, 1988. "A Nonparametric Analysis of Agricultural Technology," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(2), pages 303-310.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2002. "Non-parametric tests of returns to scale," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 115-132, May.
- J. Cummins & Hongmin Zi, 1998. "Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods: An Application to the U.S. Life Insurance Industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 131-152, October.
- J. David Cummins & Hongmin Zi, 1997. "Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods: An Application to the U.S. Life Insurance Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Varian, Hal R., 1990. "Goodness-of-fit in optimizing models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 125-140.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1995. "Nonparametric tests of regularity, Farrell efficiency, and goodness-of-fit," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 415-425, October.
- H. Alan Love, 1999. "Conflicts between Theory and Practice in Production Economics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 696-702.
- Hall, George J., 2000. "Non-convex costs and capital utilization: A study of production scheduling at automobile assembly plants," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 681-716, June.
- George J. Hall, 1997. "Non-Convex Costs and Capital Utilization: A Study of Production Scheduling at Automobile Assembly Plants," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1169, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bauer, Paul W. & Berger, Allen N. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Humphrey, David B., 1998. "Consistency Conditions for Regulatory Analysis of Financial Institutions: A Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 85-114, March.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Financial Services working paper 97-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brown, Donald J., 1991. "Equilibrium analysis with non-convex technologies," Handbook of Mathematical Economics,in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 36, pages 1963-1995 Elsevier.
- Coelli, T J, 1996. "Measurement of Total Factor Productivity Growth and Biases in Technological Change in Western Australian Agriculture," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 77-91, Jan.-Feb..
- R. Färe & S. Grosskopf & D. Njinkeu, 1988. "Note---On Piecewise Reference Technologies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(12), pages 1507-1511, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jeczfn:v:81:y:2004:i:2:p:155-192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.