The Malmquist productivity index and plant capacity utilisation
This note proposes a new decomposition of the Malmquist productivity index to account for changes in plant capacity utilisation. Using a primal, non-parametric specification of technology, the Malmquist index is decomposed into technical efficiency change, variations in plant capacity utilisation, and frontier shifts. It provides an alternative to the available methods to incorporate capacity utilisation changes in measures of productivity change. The latter are based upon parametric (and, in many cases, dual) technology specifications; moreover, they typically do not allow for technical inefficiency.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen|
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2000. " The Malmquist Productivity Index and Plant Capacity Utilization," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(2), pages 303-310, June.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2013.
"Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(24), pages 3529-3529, August.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2012. "Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(31), pages 4125-4141, November.
- B. De Borger & K. Kerstens & D. Prior, 2007. "Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilisation : integrating economic and technical capacity notions," Post-Print hal-00296708, HAL.
- B. De Borger & K. Kerstens & D. Prior & I. Van de Woestyne, 2012. "Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions," Post-Print hal-00677646, HAL.
- Van de Woestyne, Ignace & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & De Borger, Bruno, 2009. "Static Efficiency Decompositions and Capacity Utilisation: Integrating Economic and Technical Capacity Notions," Working Papers 2009/30, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Diego Prior & Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2011. "Static Efficiency Decompositions And Capacity Utilisation: Integrating Economic And Technical Capacity Notions," Post-Print hal-00717976, HAL.
- Giovanni Cesaroni & Kristiaan Kerstens & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2016. "A New Input-Oriented Plant Capacity Notion: Definition and Empirical Comparison," Working Papers 2016-EQM-08, IESEG School of Management.
- Torstein Bye & Annegrete Bruvoll & Jan Larsson, 2009. "Capacity Utilization in a Generalized Malmquist Index Including Environmental Factors: A Decomposition Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 85(3), pages 529-538.
- Torstein Bye & Annegrete Bruvoll & Jan Larsson, 2006. "Capacity utilization in a generalized Malmquist index including environmental factors. A decomposition analysis," Discussion Papers 473, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Burda, Michael C. & Severgnini, Battista, 2014. "Solow residuals without capital stocks," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(C), pages 154-171.
- Michael C. Burda & Battista Severgnini, 2008. "Solow Residuals without Capital Stocks," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-040, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Burda, Michael C & Severgnini, Battista, 2010. "Solow Residuals without Capital Stocks," CEPR Discussion Papers 7990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tariq Raza, 2016. "Measuring Technology Differences Across Football Manufacturers in Sialkot," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 21(Special E), pages 237-251, September.
- Ouellette, Pierre & Vierstraete, Valerie, 2004. "Technological change and efficiency in the presence of quasi-fixed inputs: A DEA application to the hospital sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(3), pages 755-763, May.
- Andreas, Eder & Bernhard, Mahlberg & Bernhard, Stürmer, 2017. "Measuring and explaining productivity growth of renewable energy producers: An empirical study of Austrian biogas plants," MPRA Paper 79826, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E. Grifell-Tatjé & C. Lovell, 2014. "Productivity, price recovery, capacity constraints and their financial consequences," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 3-17, February.
- E. Grifell-Tatje & C. A. K. Lovell, 2013. "Productivity, Price Recovery, Capacity Constraints and their Financial Consequences," CEPA Working Papers Series WP032013, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Victoria Shestalova, 2003. "Sequential Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth: An Application to OECD Industrial Activities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 211-226, April.
- W. Diewert & Kevin Fox, 2010. "Malmquist and Törnqvist productivity indexes: returns to scale and technical progress with imperfect competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 101(1), pages 73-95, September.
- Magdalena Kapelko & Alfons Oude Lansink, 2015. "An international comparison of productivity change in the textile and clothing industry: a bootstrapped Malmquist index approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 48(4), pages 1499-1523, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2000020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed