Malmquist and Törnqvist productivity indexes: returns to scale and technical progress with imperfect competition
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- James McIntosh, 2002. "A welfare analysis of Canadian chartered bank mergers," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(3), pages 457-475, August.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2008.
"On the estimation of returns to scale, technical progress and monopolistic markups,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 174-193, July.
- Kevin J. Fox & W. Erwin Diewert, 2004. "On the Estimation of Returns to Scale, Technical Progress and Monopolistic Markups," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 310, Econometric Society.
- William L. Weber & Bruce Domazlicky, 2001. "Productivity Growth and Pollution in State Manufacturing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 195-199, February.
- D. W. Jorgenson & Z. Griliches, 1967. "The Explanation of Productivity Change," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 249-283.
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G, 1997.
"Returns to Scale in U.S. Production: Estimates and Implications,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 249-283, April.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1996. "Returns to scale in U.S. production: estimates and implications," International Finance Discussion Papers 546, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Jones, Charles I., 2005. "Growth and Ideas," Handbook of Economic Growth,in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 1063-1111 Elsevier.
- Tim Coelli & Antonio Estache & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003.
"A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 15149, April.
- Antonio Estache & Tim Coelli & Sergio Perelman & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "A Primer on Efficiency Measurement for Utilities and Transport Regulators," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44106, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bennett, Rosalind L. & Farmer, Roger E. A., 2000. "Indeterminacy with Non-separable Utility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 118-143, July.
- Bartelsman, Eric J., 1995. "Of empty boxes: Returns to scale revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 59-67, July.
- Fox, Kevin J. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kirkley, James & Squires, Dale, 2003.
"Property rights in a fishery: regulatory change and firm performance,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 156-177, July.
- Kevin J. Fox & R. Quentin Grafton & James Kirkley & Dale Squires, 2002. "Property Rights in a Fishery: Regulatory Change and Firm Performance," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0205, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Oulton,Nicholas & O'Mahony,Mary, 1994. "Productivity and Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521453455.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Antonio Ciccone, 2002. "Input Chains and Industrialization," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 565-587.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Williams, Barry, 2004. "Foreign bank entry, deregulation and bank efficiency: Lessons from the Australian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1775-1799, July.
- Bjurek, Hans, 1996. " The Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Index," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(2), pages 303-313, June.
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2000.
" The Malmquist Productivity Index and Plant Capacity Utilization,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(2), pages 303-310, June.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, Kristiaan, "undated". "The Malmquist productivity index and plant capacity utilisation," Working Papers 2000020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2004. "Non Parametric Efficiency Measurement," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(496), pages 307-311, June.
- Nin, Alejandro & Arndt, Channing & Preckel, Paul V., 2003. "Is agricultural productivity in developing countries really shrinking? New evidence using a modified nonparametric approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 395-415, August.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Cornwell, Christopher & Honerkamp, Olaf, 2003. "Measuring and Decomposing Productivity Change: Stochastic Distance Function Estimation versus Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 284-294, April.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2009. "Cost of Living Indexes and Exact Index Numbers," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2009-6, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 13 Feb 2009.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Diewert, W. Erwin, 2017. "Productivity Measurement in the Public Sector: Theory and Practice," Microeconomics.ca working papers erwin_diewert-2017-1, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 02 Feb 2017.
- Burda, Michael C. & Severgnini, Battista, 2014.
"Solow residuals without capital stocks,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 109(C), pages 154-171.
- Michael C. Burda & Battista Severgnini, 2008. "Solow Residuals without Capital Stocks," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-040, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Burda, Michael C & Severgnini, Battista, 2010. "Solow Residuals without Capital Stocks," CEPR Discussion Papers 7990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Kevin J. Fox, 2014.
"Decomposing Bjurek Productivity Indexes into Explanatory Factors,"
2014-33, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2014. "Decomposing Bjurek Productivity Indexes into Explanatory Factors," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2014-32, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 30 Jun 2014.
- Feng, Guohua & Serletis, Apostolos, 2010.
"A primal Divisia technical change index based on the output distance function,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 320-330, December.
- Guohua Feng & Apostolos Serletis, 2010. "A Primal Divisia Technical Change Index Based on the Output Distance Function," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 7/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Carlo Milana & Leopoldo Nascia & Alessandro Zeli, 2013. "Decomposing multifactor productivity in Italy from 1998 to 2004: evidence from large firms and SMEs using DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 99-109, August.
- repec:kap:ecopln:v:50:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s10644-016-9183-0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Agostino, Mariarosaria & Nifo, Annamaria & Trivieri, Francesco & Vecchione, Gaetano, 2016. "Total factor productivity heterogeneity: channelling the impact of institutions," MPRA Paper 72759, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Kevin J. Fox, 2017. "Decomposing Value Added Growth into Explanatory Factors," Discussion Papers 2017-02, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Diewert, W. Erwin, 2014.
"Decompositions of profitability change using cost functions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 183(1), pages 58-66.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2010. "Decompositions of Profitability Change using Cost Functions," CEPA Working Papers Series WP092010, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2010. "Decompositions of Profitability Change using Cost Functions," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2010-16, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 13 Jul 2010.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2017. "Decomposing productivity indexes into explanatory factors," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 256(1), pages 275-291.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2016. "Kevin J. Fox Interview of W. Erwin Diewert," Microeconomics.ca working papers erwin_diewert-2016-6, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 02 Jun 2016.
- repec:kap:jproda:v:48:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s11123-017-0514-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Md. Abul Kalam Azad & Abdul Kadar Muhammad Masum & Susila Munisamy & Dilruba Fatima Sharmin, 2016. "Efficiency analysis of major microfinance institutions in Bangladesh: a Malmquist index approach," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 50(4), pages 1525-1537, July.
- Merino, Fernando, 2012. "Firms' internationalization and productivity growth," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 349-354.
- Hideyuki Mizobuchi, 2014. "Returns to scale effect in labour productivity growth," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 293-304, December.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2018. "Duality in Production," Microeconomics.ca working papers erwin_diewert-2018-2, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 06 Feb 2018.
- Feng, Guohua & Zhang, Xiaohui, 2014. "Returns to scale at large banks in the US: A random coefficient stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 135-145.
More about this item
KeywordsProductivity; Index numbers; Malmquist indexes; Törnqvist indexes; Returns to scale; Non-competitive behavior; Flexible functional forms; C43; D24; E23;
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jeczfn:v:101:y:2010:i:1:p:73-95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.