Nonparametric measures of scale economies and capacity utilization: An application to U.S. manufacturing
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Subhash C. Ray, 2013. "Nonparametric Measures of Scale Economies and Capacity Utilization: An Application to U.S. Manufacturing," Working papers 2013-09, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
References listed on IDEAS
- Coelli, Tim & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Perelman, Sergio, 2002.
"Capacity utilisation and profitability: A decomposition of short-run profit efficiency,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 261-278, October.
- COELLI, Tim & GRIFELL-TATJE, Emili & PERELMAN, Sergio, 2001. "Capacity utilisation and profitability: a decomposition of short run profit efficiency," CORE Discussion Papers 2001052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Coelli, Tim & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Perelman, Sergio, 2002. "Capacity Utilization and Profitability: A Decomposition of Short Run Profit Efficiency," Efficiency Series Papers 2002/01, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Niels Vestergaard & Dale Squires, 2006.
"A short-run Johansen industry model for common-pool resources: planning a fishery's industrial capacity to curb overfishing,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 361-389, September.
- K. Kerstens & N. Vestergaard & D. Squires, 2006. "A Short-Run Johansen Industry Model for Common-Pool Resources: Planning a Fishery's Industrial Capacity to Curb Overfishing," Post-Print hal-00211192, HAL.
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1990. "On the measurement of economic capacity utilization for multi-product industries," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 347-361, June.
- Holland, D. S. & Lee, S. T., 2002. "Impacts of random noise and specification on estimates of capacity derived from data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 10-21, February.
- Lawrence R. Klein & Virginia Long, 1973. "Capacity Utilization: Concept, Measurement, and Recent Estimates," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 4(3), pages 743-764.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Tone, Kaoru, 2009. "Decomposing capacity utilization in data envelopment analysis: An application to banks in India," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(2), pages 575-594, June.
- Kim, Seung-Chul & Horowitz, Ira & Young, Karl K. & Buckley, Thomas A., 1999. "Analysis of capacity management of the intensive care unit in a hospital," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 36-46, May.
- Valdmanis, Vivian & Bernet, Patrick & Moises, James, 2010. "Hospital capacity, capability, and emergency preparedness," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1628-1634, December.
- Rajiv Banker & Hsihui Chang & Ram Natarajan, 2007. "Estimating DEA technical and allocative inefficiency using aggregate cost or revenue data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 115-121, April.
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2006.
"Direct And Indirect Measures Of Capacity Utilization: A Non-Parametric Analysis Of Us Manufacturing,"
University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 526-548, July.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2005. "Direct and Indirect Measures of Capacity Utilization: A Nonparametric Analysis of U.S. Manufacturing," Working papers 2005-36, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Pascoe, Sean & Tingley, Diana, 2006. "Economic capacity estimation in fisheries: A non-parametric ray approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 124-138, May.
- J. M. Cassels, 1937. "Excess Capacity and Monopolistic Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 426-443.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Morrison, Catherine J, 1981. "Capacity Utilization Measures: Underlying Economic Theory and an Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 48-52, May.
- Dupont, Diane P. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kirkley, James & Squires, Dale, 2002. "Capacity utilization measures and excess capacity in multi-product privatized fisheries," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 193-210, June.
- Lindebo, Erik & Hoff, Ayoe & Vestergaard, Niels, 2007. "Revenue-based capacity utilisation measures and decomposition: The case of Danish North Sea trawlers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(1), pages 215-227, July.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kirkley, Jim, 2000. "Multi-output Capacity Measures and Their Relevance for Productivity," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 101-112, April.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-666, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:rujoec:v:3:y:2017:i:3:p:240-262 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:eneeco:v:70:y:2018:i:c:p:244-257 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:jomega:v:76:y:2018:i:c:p:112-127 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:enepol:v:116:y:2018:i:c:p:170-181 is not listed on IDEAS
- Subhash C. Ray & John Walden & Lei Chen, 2018. "Economic Measures of Capacity Utilization: A Nonparametric Cost Function Analysis," Working papers 2018-02, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- repec:spr:jknowl:v:10:y:2019:i:1:d:10.1007_s13132-017-0463-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kamel Helali & Maha Kalai & Thouraya Boujelbene, 2016. "Short-run decomposition of profit efficiency and its relationship with the Tunisian manufacturing capacity utilisation," International Journal of Applied Management Science, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(1), pages 38-51.
- Chaudhuri, Kausik & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Sundaram, Lavanya, 2016. "Estimation of firm performance from a MIMIC model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 255(1), pages 298-307.
More about this item
KeywordsEfficient output; Most productive scale size; Data envelopment analysis;
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:245:y:2015:i:2:p:602-611. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.