Is the leverage of European banks procyclical?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sorensen, Bent & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2012.
"Leverage across firms, banks, and countries,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 284-298.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sørensen, Bent E & Yesiltas, Sevcan, 2011. "Leverage Across Firms, Banks and Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 8549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Bent Sorensen & Sevcan Yesiltas, 2011. "Leverage Across Firms, Banks, and Countries," NBER Working Papers 17354, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabio Panetta & Paolo Angelini & Ugo Albertazzi & Francesco Columba & Wanda Cornacchia & Antonio Di Cesare & Andrea Pilati & Carmelo Salleo & Giovanni Santini, 2009. "Financial sector pro-cyclicality: lessons from the crisis," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 44, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- J. Harold Mulherin (ed.), 2012. "Mergers and Acquisitions," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 15061.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Moore, John, 1997. "Credit Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 211-248, April.
- Gertler, Mark & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 2010. "Financial Intermediation and Credit Policy in Business Cycle Analysis," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 11, pages 547-599, Elsevier.
- Yasin Mimir, 2016.
"Financial Intermediaries, Credit Shocks and Business Cycles,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 78(1), pages 42-74, February.
- Yasin Mimir, 2013. "Financial Intermediaries, Credit Shocks and Business Cycles," Working Papers 1313, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Mimir, Yasin, 2010.
"Financial intermediaries, leverage ratios, and business cycles,"
27643, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yasin Mimir, 2011. "Financial Intermediaries, Leverage Ratios and Business Cycles," 2011 Meeting Papers 19, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Reint Gropp & Florian Heider, 2010. "The Determinants of Bank Capital Structure," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 14(4), pages 587-622.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989.
"Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1988. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, And Business Fluctuations," SSRI Workshop Series 292693, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Social Systems Research Institute.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Monahan, J Christopher, 1992.
"An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 953-966, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Christopher J. Monahan, 1990. "An Improved Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 942, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Damar, H. Evren & Meh, Césaire A. & Terajima, Yaz, 2013.
"Leverage, balance-sheet size and wholesale funding,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 639-662.
- H. Evren Damar & Césaire Meh & Yaz Terajima, 2010. "Leverage, Balance Sheet Size and Wholesale Funding," Staff Working Papers 10-39, Bank of Canada.
- Brambor, Thomas & Clark, William Roberts & Golder, Matt, 2006. "Understanding Interaction Models: Improving Empirical Analyses," Political Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(1), pages 63-82, January.
- Memmel, Christoph & Raupach, Peter, 2010. "How do banks adjust their capital ratios?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 509-528, October.
- Focarelli, Dario & Panetta, Fabio & Salleo, Carmelo, 2002. "Why Do Banks Merge?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 1047-1066, November.
- Meh, Césaire A. & Moran, Kevin, 2010.
"The role of bank capital in the propagation of shocks,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 555-576, March.
- Césaire Meh & Kevin Moran, 2008. "The Role of Bank Capital in the Propagation of Shocks," Staff Working Papers 08-36, Bank of Canada.
- John Geanakoplos, 2009. "The Leverage Cycle," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1715, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baltzer, Markus & Koehl, Alexandra & Reitz, Stefan, 2019. "Procyclical leverage in Europe and its role in asset pricing," Discussion Papers 10/2019, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Justine Pedrono & Aurélien Violon, 2016. "Banks' Leverage Procyclicality: Does US Dollar Diversification Really Matter?," Working Papers halshs-01216658, HAL.
- Mamatzakis, Emmanuel & Bermpei, Theodora, 2014.
"What drives investment bank performance? The role of risk, liquidity and fees prior to and during the crisis,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 102-117.
- Mamatzakis, E & bermpei, t, 2014. "What drives investment bank performance? the role of risk, liquidity and fees prior to and during the crisis," MPRA Paper 60196, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beccalli, Elena & Boitani, Andrea & Di Giuliantonio, Sonia, 2015. "Leverage pro-cyclicality and securitization in US banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 200-230.
- Boitani, Andrea & Punzo, Chiara, 2019.
"Banks’ leverage behaviour in a two-agent new Keynesian model,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 162(C), pages 347-359.
- Andrea Boitani & Chiara Punzo, 2018. "Banks’ leverage behaviour in a two-agent New Keynesian model," DISCE - Working Papers del Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza def063, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Andrea Boitani & Chiara Punzo, 2018. "Banks’ leverage behaviour in a two-agent New Keynesian model," DEM Working Papers Series 150, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management.
- Nina Boyarchenko & Philippe Mueller, 2019. "Corporate Credit Provision," Staff Reports 895, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Justine Pedrono & Aurélien Violon, 2017. "Banks' leverage Procyclicality: Does Currency Diversification Matter?," Working Papers 2017-09, CEPII research center.
- Justine Pedrono & Aurélien Violon, 2016.
"Banks' Capital Structure and US Dollar Diversification of Assets: Does Reduction in Systemic Risk Offset Agency Costs?,"
AMSE Working Papers
1610, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, France.
- Justine Pedrono & Aurélien Violon, 2016. "Banks' Capital Structure and US dollar Diversification of Assets: Does Reduction in Systemic Risk Offset Agency Costs?," Working Papers halshs-01275858, HAL.
- Justine Pedrono, 2015. "Banking Leverage with Currency Diversification," AMSE Working Papers 1539, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, France, revised Sep 2015.
- Justine Pedrono, 2015.
"Banking Leverage Procyclicality: A Theoretical Model Introducing Currency Diversification,"
- Justine Pedrono, 2017. "Banking Leverage Procyclicality: a Theoretical Model Introducing Currency Diversification," Working Papers 2017-06, CEPII research center.
- Justine Pedrono & Aurélien Violon, 2015. "Bank Leverage: Does Currency Diversification Really Matter?," AMSE Working Papers 1543, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, France, revised 16 Oct 2015.
- Beccalli, Elena & Frantz, Pascal & Lenoci, Francesca, 2018. "Hidden effects of bank recapitalizations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 94(C), pages 297-314.
- Mohd Afandi Abu Bakar* & Noormahayu Mohd Nasir & Farrah Dina Abd Razak & Nor Samsinar Kamsi & Asmalia Che Ahmad, 2018. "Provision for Bad & Doubtful Financing and Contingency Reserve Management: Assessing Resilient and Stable Islamic Banks," The Journal of Social Sciences Research, Academic Research Publishing Group, pages 621-627:6.
More about this item
KeywordsBanks; Procyclicality; Financial regulation; Leverage; G21; E3;
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:empeco:v:45:y:2013:i:3:p:1251-1266. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.