The linkages between formal and informal employment growth in Tunisia: a spatial simultaneous equations approach
Abstract This paper examines the links and interactions between the formal and informal employment growth as well as their determinants in 264 Tunisian delegations from 1996 to 2013. The empirical analysis based on non-spatial and spatial simultaneous equations models reveals that an increase in the informal employment growth in industry is positively associated with an increase in the formal employment at the same delegation, and vice versa. For the construction activities, the results show that the formal and informal sectors are opposite. With respect to agglomeration externalities, we find positive effects of local competition on employment growth for both formal and informal sectors. Furthermore, we find that formal employment is higher in delegations with higher average monthly wage and high levels of net migration.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 56 (2016)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.com/journal/168|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guifu Chen & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2013. "Formal And Informal Employment And Income Differentials In Urban China," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(7), pages 987-1004, October.
- Shaoling Chen & Susheng Wang & Haisheng Yang, 2015. "Spatial Competition and Interdependence in Strategic Decisions: Empirical Evidence from Franchising," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 91(2), pages 165-204, April.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2004.
"The dynamics of local employment in France,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 217-243, September.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 2003. "The Dynamics of Local Employment in France," Working Papers 2003-15, Center for Research in Economics and Statistics.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2004. "The Dynamics of Local Employment in France," IZA Discussion Papers 1061, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 2004. "The dynamics of local employment in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00279073, HAL.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 2004. "The dynamics of local employment in France," Research Unit Working Papers 0402, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2003. "The Dynamics of Local Employment in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 3912, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Friedrich Schneider & Dominik Enste, 1999. "Shadow Economies Around the World - Size, Causes, and Consequences," CESifo Working Paper Series 196, CESifo Group Munich.
- Friedrich Schneider & Dominik Enste, 2000. "Shadow Economies Around the World; Size, Causes, and Consequences," IMF Working Papers 00/26, International Monetary Fund.
- Henderson, Vernon & Kuncoro, Ari & Turner, Matt, 1995. "Industrial Development in Cities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1067-1090, October.
- J. Vernon Henderson & Ari Kuncoro & Matthew Turner, 1992. "Industrial Development in Cities," NBER Working Papers 4178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2004. "Estimation of simultaneous systems of spatially interrelated cross sectional equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1-2), pages 27-50.
- Rijkers, Bob & Arouri, Hassen & Freund, Caroline & Nucifora, Antonio, 2014. "Which firms create the most jobs in developing countries? Evidence from Tunisia," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 84-102.
- Rijkers, Bob & Arouri, Hassen & Freund, Caroline & Nucifora, Antonio, 2014. "Which firms create the most jobs in developing countries ? evidence from Tunisia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7068, The World Bank.
- Bob Rijkers & Hassen Arouri & Caroline Freund & Antonio Nucifora, 2015. "Which Firms Create the Most Jobs in Developing Countries? Evidence from Tunisia," Working Papers 956, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 2015.
- Nichter, Simeon & Goldmark, Lara, 2009. "Small Firm Growth in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1453-1464, September.
- Allen J. Scott, 2004. "A Perspective of Economic Geography," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(5), pages 479-499, November.
- In Kwon Park & Burkhard von Rabenau, 2011. "Disentangling Agglomeration Economies: Agents, Sources, And Spatial Dependence," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(5), pages 897-930, December.
- Simon, Curtis J. & Nardinelli, Clark, 2002. "Human capital and the rise of American cities, 1900-1990," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 59-96, January.
- Erik Jonasson, 2011. "Informal Employment and the Role of Regional Governance," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 429-441, August.
- Jonasson, Erik, 2009. "Informal Employment and the Role of Regional Governance," Working Papers 2009:10, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 27 Sep 2010.
- Erik Jonasson, 2012. "Government Effectiveness and Regional Variation in Informal Employment," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(4), pages 481-497, June.
- Jonasson, Erik, 2010. "Government Effectiveness and Regional Variation in Informal Employment," Working Papers 2010:13, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 31 Mar 2011.
- Batisse, Cecile, 2002. "Dynamic externalities and local growth: A panel data analysis applied to Chinese provinces," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 231-251.
- Cécile BATISSE, 2001. "Dynamic externalities and local growth:A panel data analysis applied to Chinese provinces," Working Papers 200112, CERDI.
- Simon, Curtis J., 1998. "Human Capital and Metropolitan Employment Growth," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 223-243, March.
- Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances, 1999. "V-Goods and the Role of the Urban Informal Sector in Development," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 259-288, January.
- Gebremeskel H. Gebremariam & Tesfa G. Gebremedhin & Peter V. Schaeffer, 2011. "Employment, Income, And Migration In Appalachia: A Spatial Simultaneous Equations Approach," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 102-120, February.
- Megha Mukim, 2015. "Coagglomeration of formal and informal industry: evidence from India," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 329-351.
- Mukim, Megha, 2013. "Coagglomeration of formal and informal industry : evidence from India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6622, The World Bank.
- Ben Arimah, 2001. "Nature and Determinants of the Linkages between Informal and Formal Sector Enterprises in Nigeria," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 13(1), pages 114-144.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe, 2000. "Economic Structure and Local Growth: France, 1984-1993," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 329-355, May.
- Mohamed Amara & Selma Mhamed Hichri, 2014. "Le territoire d'implantation : quel rôle pour la croissance des petites entreprises tunisiennes ?," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(1), pages 87-119.
- Gebremeskel Gebremariam & Tesfa Gebremedhin & Peter Schaeffer, 2010. "Analysis of county employment and income growth in Appalachia: a spatial simultaneous-equations approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 23-45, February.
- Friedrich Schneider & Andreas Buehn & Claudio Montenegro, 2010. "New Estimates for the Shadow Economies all over the World," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(4), pages 443-461.
- Tokman, Victor E., 1978. "An exploration into the nature of informal--formal sector relationships," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 6(9-10), pages 1065-1075.
- Zheng, Xiao-Ping, 2001. "Determinants of agglomeration economies and diseconomies: : empirical evidence from Tokyo," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 131-144.
- Dominik H. Enste & Friedrich Schneider, 2000. "Shadow Economies: Size, Causes, and Consequences," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(1), pages 77-114, March.
- Friedman, Eric & Johnson, Simon & Kaufmann, Daniel & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 2000. "Dodging the grabbing hand: the determinants of unofficial activity in 69 countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 459-493, June.
- Ghate, P. B., 1992. "Interaction between the formal and informal financial sectors: The Asian experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 859-872, June.
- Gebremeskel H. Gebremariam & Tesfa G. Gebremedhin & Peter V. Schaeffer & Tim T. Phipps & Randall W. Jackson, 2012. "Employment, income, migration and public services: A simultaneous spatial panel data model of regional growth," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 275-297, June.
- Marcus H Böhme & Rainer Thiele, 2014. "Informal–Formal Linkages and Informal Enterprise Performance in Urban West Africa," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 26(4), pages 473-489, September.
- Böhme, Marcus & Thiele, Rainer, 2012. "Informal-formal linkages and informal enterprise performance in urban West Africa," Kiel Working Papers 1751, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Swaminathan, M., 1991. "Understanding the "Informal Sector": A Survey," Research Paper 95, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Jeanty, P. Wilner & Partridge, Mark & Irwin, Elena, 2010. "Estimation of a spatial simultaneous equation model of population migration and housing price dynamics," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 343-352, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:56:y:2016:i:1:d:10.1007_s00168-015-0731-8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.