Local economic structure and industry development in Germany, 1993-2001
"This paper analyses the impact of dynamic MAR- and Jacobs-externalities on local employment growth in Germany between 1993 and 2001. In order to facilitate a comparison between the neighbouring countries we firstly replicate the study of Combes (2000) on local employment growth in France and find very similar results for Germany. Afterwards we formulate an alternative empirical model that is based on a weighted regression approach. With this model we find that Jacobs-externalities matter in manufacturing, whereas MAR-externalities are present in advanced service sectors." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||13 Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Economics Bulletin, Vol. 15, No. 17 (2005), p. 1-8|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995.
"Productivity and the density of economic activity,"
Economics Working Papers
120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe, 2000. "Economic Structure and Local Growth: France, 1984-1993," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 329-355, May.
- Henderson, Vernon & Kuncoro, Ari & Turner, Matt, 1995.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1067-90, October.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2003.
"Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
474, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2004. "Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 720-742, 06.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-40, June.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2004.
"The dynamics of local employment in France,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 217-243, September.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 2003. "The Dynamics of Local Employment in France," Working Papers 2003-15, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 2004. "The dynamics of local employment in France," Research Unit Working Papers 0402, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2004. "The Dynamics of Local Employment in France," IZA Discussion Papers 1061, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2003. "The Dynamics of Local Employment in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 3912, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel & Henderson, Rebecca, 1993. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-98, August.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jens Suedekum, 2006.
"Concentration and Specialization Trends in Germany since Re-unification,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(8), pages 861-873.
- Suedekum, Jens, 2004. "Concentration and Specialisation Trends in Germany since Reunification," HWWA Discussion Papers 285, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Robert Dekle, 2002. "Industrial Concentration And Regional Growth: Evidence From The Prefectures," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 310-315, May.
- Henderson, Vernon, 1997.
"Externalities and Industrial Development,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 449-470, November.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:200501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.