Explaining local manufacturing growth in Chile : the advantages of sectoral diversity
This paper investigates whether the agglomeration of economic activity in regional clusters affects long-run manufacturing total factor productivity growth in an emerging market context. It explores a large firm-level panel dataset for Chile during a period characterized by high growth rates and rising regional income inequality (1992-2004). The findings are clear-cut. Locations with greater concentration of a particular sector did not experience faster growth in total factor productivity during this period. Rather, local sector diversity was associated with higher long-run growth in total factor productivity. However, there is no evidence that the diversity effect was driven by the local interaction with a set of suppliers and/or clients. The authors interpret this as evidence that agglomeration economies are driven by other factors, such as the sharing of access to specialized inputs not provided solely by a single sector, such as skills or financing.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Lucio, Juan J. & Herce, Jose A. & Goicolea, Ana, 2002. "The effects of externalities on productivity growth in Spanish industry," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 241-258, March.
- MARTIN, Philippe & MAYER, Thierry & MAYNERIS, Florian, .
"Spatial concentration and plant-level productivity in France,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2273, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2011. "Spatial concentration and plant-level productivity in France," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 182-195, March.
- Philippe Martin & Thierry Mayer & Florian Mayneris, 2011. "Spatial concentration and plant-level productivity in france," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Lisa A. Cameron & Mary Amiti, 2004.
"Economic Geography and Wages,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
253, Econometric Society.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2003.
"Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
474, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Federico Cingano & Fabiano Schivardi, 2004. "Identifying the Sources of Local Productivity Growth," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 720-742, 06.
- Francisco Gallego Y. & Norman Loayza O., 2002.
"The Golden Period For Growth In Chile: Explanations And Forecasts,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy),
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 5(1), pages 37-67.
- Francisco Gallego & Norman Loayza, 2002. "The Golden Period for Growth in Chile. Explanations and Forecasts," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.), Economic Growth: Sources, Trends, and Cycles, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 13, pages 417-464 Central Bank of Chile.
- Francisco Gallego & Norman Loayza, 2002. "The Golden Period for Growth in Chile: Explanations and Forecasts," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 146, Central Bank of Chile.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Patrick J. Kehoe & Timothy J. Kehoe & Raimundo Soto, 2002.
"Policy-Driven Productivity in Chile and Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s,"
NBER Working Papers
8892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Patrick J. Kehoe & Timothy J. Kehoe & Raimundo Soto, 2002. "Policy-Driven Productivity in Chile and Mexico in the 1980's and 1990's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 16-21, May.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Patrick J. Kehoe & Timothy J. Kehoe & Raimundo Soto, 2002. "Policy-Driven Productivity in Chile and Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s," Documentos de Trabajo 125, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Raimundo Soto & Raphael Bergoeing & Timothy Kehoe & Patrick Kehoe., 2002. "Policy-driven productivity in Chile and Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s," Documentos de Trabajo 213, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Roberto Álvarez & Luis Opazo, 2011. "Effects of Chinese Imports on Relative Wages: Microevidence from Chile," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113, pages 342-363, 06.
- Roberto Duncan & Rodrigo Fuentes, 2006. "Regional Convergence in Chile: New Tests, Old Results," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 43(127), pages 81-112.
- Brülhart, Marius & Mathys, Nicole Andréa, 2007.
"Sectoral Agglomeration Economies in a Panel of European Regions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6410, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brülhart, Marius & Mathys, Nicole A., 2008. "Sectoral agglomeration economies in a panel of European regions," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 348-362, July.
- Marius BRÜLHART & Nicole A. MATHYS, 2007. "Sectoral Agglomeration Economies in a Panel of European Regions," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 07.04, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Almeida, Rita, 2005.
"Local economic structure and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3728, The World Bank.
- Carlos Pombo, 1999. "Productividad industrial en Colombia: Una aplicación de números índices," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Blalock, Garrick & Gertler, Paul J., 2008. "Welfare gains from Foreign Direct Investment through technology transfer to local suppliers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 402-421, March.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Andrea Repetto, 2006.
"Micro Efficiency and Aggregate Growth in Chile,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 43(127), pages 169-192.
- Ana M. Fernandes & Caroline Paunov, 2013. "Does trade stimulate product quality upgrading?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1232-1264, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:5891. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.