Marshall or Jacobs? New insights from an interaction model
The debate on localization and urbanization economies usually neglects interdependencies between the two types of economies. This paper addresses this problem by employing an interaction model using German data covering four different sectors for the years 1998 to 2008. We find that localization and urbanization economies interact negatively in most of the sectors. Furthermore, we study non-linear effects of specialization and diversification. Taking these into account, the signs indicating localization and urbanization economies change at certain thresholds. Our regression analysis shows evidence of localization economies in manufacturing and basic services. Urbanization economies are generally less prevalent in our data. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10037|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michaela Fuchs, 2011.
"The determinants of local employment dynamics in Western Germany,"
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 177-203, February.
- Fuchs, Michaela, 2009. "The determinants of local employment dynamics in Western Germany," IAB Discussion Paper 200918, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002.
"Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing,"
United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003
02, Stata Users Group.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2003. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," North American Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003 05, Stata Users Group.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 545, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 14 Feb 2003.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Annette Illy & Michael Schwartz & Christoph Hornych & Martin T.W. Rosenfeld, 2011. "Local Economic Structure And Sectoral Employment Growth In German Cities," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 102(5), pages 582-593, December.
- Robert Dekle, 2002. "Industrial Concentration And Regional Growth: Evidence From The Prefectures," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 310-315, May.
- Kirsi Mukkala, 2004. "Agglomeration economies in the finnish manufacturing sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(21), pages 2419-2427.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- J. Vernon Henderson & Ari Kuncoro & Matthew Turner, 1992.
"Industrial Development in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
4178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Hoechle, 2007. "Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(3), pages 281-312, September.
- Paul Krugman, 2011. "The New Economic Geography, Now Middle-aged," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(1), pages 1-7.
- Blien, Uwe & Suedekum, Jens & Wolf, Katja, 2005.
"Local Employment Growth in West Germany: A Dynamic Panel Approach,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1723, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Blien, Uwe & Suedekum, Jens & Wolf, Katja, 2006. "Local employment growth in West Germany: A dynamic panel approach," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 445-458, August.
- Uwe Blien & Jens Suedekum & Katja Wolf, 2005. "Local Employment Growth in West Germany - A Dynamic Panel Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa05p620, European Regional Science Association.
- MARTIN, Philippe & MAYER, Thierry & MAYNERIS, Florian, .
"Spatial concentration and plant-level productivity in France,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2273, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2011. "Spatial concentration and plant-level productivity in France," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 182-195, March.
- Philippe Martin & Thierry Mayer & Florian Mayneris, 2011. "Spatial concentration and plant-level productivity in france," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe, 2000. "Economic Structure and Local Growth: France, 1984-1993," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 329-355, May.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Steven Brakman & Charles van Marrewijk, 2012.
"Reflections on Cluster Policies,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3963, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rita Almeida, 2007.
"Local Economic Structure and Growth,"
Spatial Economic Analysis,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 65-90.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1998.
"Innovation in Cities: Science-Based Diversity, Specialization and Localized Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1980, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Feldman, Maryann P. & Audretsch, David B., 1999. "Innovation in cities:: Science-based diversity, specialization and localized competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 409-429, February.
- van Soest, D.P. & Gerking, S.D. & van Oort, F.G., 2002. "Knowledge Externalities, Agglomeration Economies, and Employment Growth in Dutch Cities," Discussion Paper 2002-41, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Philipp Ehrl, 2011.
"Agglomeration economies with consistent productivity estimates,"
113, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Ehrl, Philipp, 2013. "Agglomeration economies with consistent productivity estimates," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 751-763.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pdjkuc9g8mc6ihim is not listed on IDEAS
- Wolfgang Dauth, 2013. "Agglomeration and regional employment dynamics," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(2), pages 419-435, 06.
- Stephan Brunow & Georg Hirte, 2009. "The age pattern of human capital and regional productivity: A spatial econometric study on german regions," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(4), pages 799-823, November.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jahrfr:v:33:y:2013:i:2:p:107-133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.