Multidimensionality and Renegotiation: Evidence from Transport-Sector Public-Private-Partnership Transactions in Latin America
Multidimensional auctions are a natural and practical solution when auctioneers pursue more than one objective in their public-private-partnership transactions. However, it is difficult to achieve auction efficiency with multiple award criteria. Using auction data from road and railway concessions in Latin America, the probability of renegotiation this paper estimates by a two-stage least squares technique with a binary selection in the first-stage regression. The findings show that auctioneers tend to adopt the multidimensional format when the need for social considerations, such as alleviation of unemployment, is high. This implies that such political considerations could hinder efficiency and transparency in auctions. The analysis also shows that the renegotiation risk in infrastructure concessions increases when multidimensional auctions are used. Rather, good governance, particularly anti-corruption policies, can mitigate the renegotiation problem.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 35 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/industrial+organization/journal/11151/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bajari, Patrick & Tadelis, Steven, 2001.
"Incentives versus Transaction Costs: A Theory of Procurement Contracts,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(3), pages 387-407, Autumn.
- Patrick Bajari & Steven Tadelis, 1999. "Incentives versus Transaction Costs: A Theory of Procurement Contracts," Working Papers 99029, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stéphane, 2008. "Renegotiation of concession contracts in Latin America: Evidence from the water and transport sectors," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 421-442, March.
- repec:bpj:rneart:v:4:y:2005:i:3:p:220-242 is not listed on IDEAS
- Torta, Fabio, 2005. "The Concession Through a Bid - the New Brescia-Milan Highway: a Case Study," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 135-143, January.
- Cripps, Martin & Ireland, Norman, 1994. "The Design of Auctions and Tenders with Quality Thresholds: The Symmetric Case," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 316-326, March.
- Andersson, Per & Hultén, Staffan & Valiente, Pablo, 2005. "Beauty contest licensing lessons from the 3G process in Sweden," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 577-593, September.
- Krishna, Vijay, 2009.
edition 2, number 9780123745071.
- Krishna, Vijay, 2002. "Auction Theory," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780124262973.
- Benitez Daniel & Estache Antonio, 2005. "How Concentrated are Global Infrastructure Markets?," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-23, September.
- Benitez, Daniel & Estache, Antonio, 2005. "How concentrated are global infrastructure markets?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3513, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & D. Benitez, 2005. "How concentrated are global infrastructure markets?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43970, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stéphane Straub, 2007. "Concessions of infrastructure in Latin America: Government-led renegotiation," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1267-1294.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stephane Straub, 2005. "Concessions of Infrastructure in Latin America: Government-led Renegotiation," ESE Discussion Papers 132, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Guasch, Jose Luis & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Straub, Stéphane, 2005. "Concessions of Infrastructure in Latin America: Goverment-Led Renegotiation," IDEI Working Papers 372, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Kerf, M. & Gray, R.D. & Irwin, T. & Levesque, C. & Taylor, R.R. & Klein, M., 1998. "Concessions for Infrastructure. A Guide to their Design and Award," Papers 399, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- J. Luis Guasch, 2004. "Granting and Renegotiating Infrastructure Concessions : Doing it Right," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15024.
- Bent Flyvbjerg, 2007. "Policy and planning for large-infrastructure projects: problems, causes, cures," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(4), pages 578-597, July.
- Bent Flyvbjerg, 2007. "Policy and Planning for Large-Infrastructure Projects: Problems, Causes, Cures," Environment and Planning B, , vol. 34(4), pages 578-597, August.
- Flyvbjerg, Bent, 2005. "Policy and planning for large infrastructure projects : problems, causes, cures," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3781, The World Bank.
- Bent Flyvbjerg, 2013. "Policy and Planning for Large Infrastructure Projects: Problems, Causes, Cures," Papers 1303.7400, arXiv.org.
- Cabizza, Mariella M. & De Fraja, Gianni, 1998. "Quality considerations in auctions for television franchises," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 9-22, March.
- Lalive, Rafael & Schmutzler, Armin, 2008. "Exploring the effects of competition for railway markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 443-458, March.
- Rafael Lalive & Armin Schmutzler, 2005. "Exploring the Effects of Competition for Railway Markets," SOI - Working Papers 0511, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Apr 2007.
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2002. "What Does "Privatization" Do for Efficiency? Evidence from Argentina's and Brazil's Railways," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1885-1897, November.
- Estache, Antonio & González, Marianela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2002. "What does “Privatization” do for Efficiency? Evidence from Argentina and Brazil’s Railways," Efficiency Series Papers 2002/10, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Antonio Estache & Marianela Gonzalez & Lourdes Trujillo, 2002. "What Does Privatization Do for Efficiency? Evidence from Argentina's and Brazil's Railways," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43980, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Birdsall, Nancy & Nellis, John, 2003. "Winners and Losers: Assessing the Distributional Impact of Privatization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1617-1633, October.
- Steven Tadelis, 2009. "Auctions Versus Negotiations in Procurement: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 372-399, October.
- Patrick Bajari & Robert McMillan & Steven Tadelis, "undated". "Auctions versus Negotiations in Procurement: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 02007, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Patrick Bajari & Robert S. McMillan & Steve Tadelis, 2003. "Auctions Versus Negotiations in Procurement: An Empirical Analysis," NBER Working Papers 9757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aline Coudouel & Stefano Paternostro, 2005. "Analyzing the Distributional Impact of Reforms : A Practioner's Guide to Trade, Monetary and Exchange Rate Policy, Utility Provision, Agricultural Markets, Land Policy and Education, Volume 1," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7251. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)