What Does "Privatization" Do for Efficiency? Evidence from Argentina's and Brazil's Railways
Railway restructuring and privatization has now become a mainstream policy option in many developing countries. This paper provides the first analysis of the efficiency payoffs of railway reform for a couple of developing countries, Argentina and Brazil. We track down the evolution of the performance of the private operators in both countries since reform, compare with the pre-reform performance when possible, distinguishing between the output and input sources of efficiency changes. This is done by computing the total factor productivity (TFP) of each business unit since the regulators started collecting enough data.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Estache & Lourdes Trujillo & E. Quinet, 2002.
"Dealing with Demand Forecasting Games in Transport Privatization,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43981, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Trujillo, Lourdes & Quinet, Emile & Estache, Antonio, 2002. "Dealing with demand forecasting games in transport privatization," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 325-334, October.
- Rebelo, Jorge M., 1999. "Reforming the urban transport sector in the Rio de Janeiro metropolitan region - a case study in concessions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2096, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache, 2001. "Privatization and Regulation of Transport Infrastructure in the 1990s'," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43998, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Campos, J., 2001. "Lessons from railway reforms in Brazil and Mexico," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 85-95, April.
- Javier Campos, 2013. "Air transport," Chapters, in: Regulating Transport in Europe, chapter 2, pages 36-60 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Campos-Mendez, Javier & Estache, Antonio & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2001. "Processes, information, and accounting gaps in the regulation of Argentina's private railways," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2636, The World Bank.
- Ramamurti, Ravi, 1997. "Testing the limits of privatization: Argentine railroads," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1973-1993, December.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:30:y:2002:i:11:p:1885-1897. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.