What Does Privatization Do for Efficiency? Evidence from Argentina's and Brazil's Railways
Railway restructuring and privatization has now become a mainstream policy option in many developing countries. This paper provides the first analysis of the efficiency payoffs of railway reform for a couple of developing countries, Argentina and Brazil. We track down the evolution of the performance of the private operators in both countries since reform, compare with the pre-reform performance when possible, distinguishing between the output and input sources of efficiency changes. This is done by computing the total factor productivity (TFP) of each business unit since the regulators started collecting enough data.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Publication status:||Published in: World development (2002) v.30 n° 11,p.1885-1897|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP135, 50, avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rebelo, Jorge M., 1999. "Reforming the urban transport sector in the Rio de Janeiro metropolitan region - a case study in concessions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2096, The World Bank.
- Campos-Mendez, Javier & Estache, Antonio & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2001. "Processes, information, and accounting gaps in the regulation of Argentina's private railways," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2636, The World Bank.
- Campos, J., 2001. "Lessons from railway reforms in Brazil and Mexico," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 85-95, April.
- Trujillo, Lourdes & Quinet, Emile & Estache, Antonio, 2002.
"Dealing with demand forecasting games in transport privatization,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 325-334, October.
- Antonio Estache & Lourdes Trujillo & E. Quinet, 2002. "Dealing with Demand Forecasting Games in Transport Privatization," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43981, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Ramamurti, Ravi, 1997. "Testing the limits of privatization: Argentine railroads," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1973-1993, December.
- Antonio Estache, 2001. "Privatization and Regulation of Transport Infrastructure in the 1990s'," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43998, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Javier Campos, 2013. "Air transport," Chapters,in: Regulating Transport in Europe, chapter 2, pages 36-60 Edward Elgar Publishing. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)