Wal-Mart's monopsony power in metro and non-metro labor markets
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Emek Basker, 2007. "When Good Instruments Go Bad," Working Papers 0706, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Neumark, David & Zhang, Junfu & Ciccarella, Stephen, 2008.
"The effects of Wal-Mart on local labor markets,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 405-430, March.
- David Neumark & Junfu Zhang & Stephen Ciccarella, 2005. "The Effects of Wal-Mart on Local Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 11782, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Neumark & Junfu Zhang & Stephen Ciccarella, 2006. "The Effects of Wal-Mart on Local Labor Markets," Working Papers 060711, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Neumark, David & Zhang, Junfu & Ciccarella, Stephen, 2007. "The Effects of Wal-Mart on Local Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 2545, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Emek Basker, 2005.
"Job Creation or Destruction? Labor Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 174-183, February.
- Emek Basker, 2002. "Job Creation or Destruction? Labor-Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion," Working Papers 0215, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised Jan 2004.
- Emek Basker, 2003. "Job Creation or Destruction? Labor-Market Effects of Wal-Mart Expansion," Labor and Demography 0303002, EconWPA, revised 11 Mar 2005.
- Basker, Emek, 2005.
"Selling a cheaper mousetrap: Wal-Mart's effect on retail prices,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 203-229, September.
- Emek Basker, 2004. "Selling a Cheaper Mousetrap: Wal-Mart's Effect on Retail Prices," Working Papers 0401, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 16 Mar 2004.
- Michael J Hicks, 2008. "Estimating Wal-Mart's Impacts in Maryland: A Test of Identification Strategies and Endogeneity Tests," Eastern Economic Journal, Palgrave Macmillan;Eastern Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 56-73, Winter.
- Brown, Charles & Gilroy, Curtis & Kohen, Andrew, 1982. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 487-528, June.
- Daniel Aaronson & Eric French, 2007.
"Product Market Evidence on the Employment Effects of the Minimum Wage,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 25, pages 167-200.
- Daniel Aaronson & Eric French, 2003. "Product market evidence on the employment effects of the minimum wage," Working Paper Series WP-03-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Eric French & Dan Aaronson, 2004. "Product Market Evidence on the Employment Effects of the Minimum Wage," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 549, Econometric Society.
- Emek Basker & Michael Noel, 2009.
"The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry into the Supermarket Industry,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 977-1009, December.
- Emek Basker & Michael Noel, 2007. "The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry into the Supermarket Industry," Working Papers 0712, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Noel, Michael & Basker, Emek, 2007. "The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry Into The Supermarket Industry," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt4nq8d4sm, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Michael J. Hicks, 2007. "Job Turnover and Wages in the Retail Sector: The Influence of Wal-Mart," Journal of Private Enterprise, The Association of Private Enterprise Education, vol. 22(Spring 20), pages 137-160.
- Daniel Aaronson & Eric French & James MacDonald, 2008. "The Minimum Wage, Restaurant Prices, and Labor Market Structure," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(3), pages 688-720.
- Hicks, Michael J. & Wilburn, Kristy L., 2001. "The Regional Impact of Wal-Mart Entrance: A Panel Study of the Retail Trade Sector in West Virginia," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 31(3), pages 305-313, Winter.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rebecca Cleary & Rigoberto Lopez, 2014. "Supermarket responses to Wal-Mart Supercenter expansion: a structural approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 905-925, November.
- Stapp, Jacob, 2014. "The Walmart Effect: Labor Market Implications in Rural and Urban Counties," SS-AAEA Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
More about this item
KeywordsWal-Mart; Wages; Buying Power; Monopsony; Metro; Non-metro;
- J42 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Monopsony; Segmented Labor Markets
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:42:y:2012:i:4:p:569-579. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.