Monetary and international factors behind Japan's lost decade
Most studies on Japan's "lost decade" have been broadly focused on its real and domestic aspects, such as total factory productivity (TPF), growth decline, non-performing loans, and governance. This paper shows that monetary and international factors played as an equally important role as those non-monetary and domestic factors in generating the prolonged Japan's stagnation. The Plaza Accord in 1985 managed to alter the major exchange rates mainly by verbal promises combined with coordinated monetary policies, and triggered the trend for the stronger real exchange rate of the yen. The subsequent monetary exchange rate policy kept the real exchanged greatly overvalued. Japanese industries endured a heavy burden during this period. J. Japanese Int. Economies 23 (2) (2009) 200-219.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 23 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622903|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takatoshi Ito, 1991. "The Japanese Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262090295, July.
- Hamada, Koichi, 1976. "A Strategic Analysis of Monetary Interdependence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 677-700, August.
- Dale Jorgenson & Koji Nomura, 2007. "The Industry Origins of the US-Japan Productivity Gap," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 315-341.
- Ito, Takatoshi, 1987. "The intradaily exchange rate dynamics and monetary policies after the group of five agreement," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 275-298, September.
- Naoko Hara & Takeshi Kimura & Kunio Okina, 2008. "Monetary Policy Framework and "Insurance Against Deflation"," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 08-E-6, Bank of Japan.
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Gray, Jo Anna, 1985. "Monetary Policy Games and the Consequences of Non-cooperative Behavior," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 547-564, October.
- Johnson, Harry G., 1972. "The Monetary Approach to Balance-of-Payments Theory," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 1555-1572, March.