International monetary policy coordination under asymmetric shocks
The purpose of this paper is to show whether international policy coordination may be the best response to economic interdependence. We will study the short-run interactions taking pla ce among interdependent economies, where monetary supply is the instrument used to maintain output and price targets. We develop a macroeconomic model in which countries show different preferences regarding objectives and face asymmetric disturbances, analyzing in strategic terms how nonetary policy can deal with real, monetary, adn supply shocks. We also show how the superiority of the cooperative solution depends on the sources of the disturbances, the underlying economic frameword, and the asymmetry of the preferences.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Publication status:||Published in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus de Arrosadía - 31006 Pamplona (Spain)|
Phone: 34 948 169340
Fax: 34 948 169 721
Web page: http://www.econ.unavarra.es
|Order Information:|| Postal: Papers are not sent in a centralized mode. You can download them with ftp, or contact the authors.|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forni, Mario & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2001.
"Federal policies and local economies: Europe and the US,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 109-134, January.
- Mario Forni & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2001. "Federal policies and local economies: Europe and the U.S," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10141, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Reinhard Neck & Gottfried Haber & Warwick McKIBBIN, 1999. "Macroeconomic Policy Design in the European Monetary Union: A Numerical Game Approach," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 26(4), pages 319-335, December.
- Douven, R.C.M.H. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 1995.
"Convergence and international policy coordination in the EU : A dynamic games approach,"
1995-96, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Douven, R.C. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 1995. "Convergence and international policy coordination in the EU: A dynamic games approach," SESO Working Papers 1995012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Douven, R. & Plasmans, J., 1995. "Convergence and International Policy Coordination in the EU: A Dynamic Games Approach," Papers 9596, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Carmen Díaz-Roldan, 2004.
"International monetary policy coordination under asymmetric shocks,"
International Advances in Economic Research,
Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 72-82, February.
- Carmen Díaz Roldán, 2000. "International monetary policy coordination under asymmetric shocks," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra 0002, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- van Aarle, B. & Di Bartolomeo, G. & Engwerda, J.C. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 2002.
"Monetary and fiscal policy design in the EMU : An overview,"
Other publications TiSEM
bc75d00d-2309-49a5-ad54-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bas van Aarle & Giovanni Di Bartolomeo & Jacob Engwerda & Joseph Plasmans, 2002. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Design in the EMU: An Overview," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 321-340, October.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri, 1983.
"Monetary policy games and the role of private information,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
249, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Canzoneri, Matthew B, 1985. "Monetary Policy Games and the Role of Private Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1056-70, December.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995.
"Monetary Union without Fiscal Coordination May Discipline Policymakers,"
DELTA Working Papers
95-22, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Lans Bovenberg, A., 1998. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 239-258, August.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Discussion Paper 1995-59, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma Roel M.W.J. & Bovenberg A. Lans, 1995. "Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers," Research Memorandum 024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Helg, Rodolfo & Manasse, Paolo & Monacelli, Tommaso & Rovelli, Riccardo, 1995. "How much (a)symmetry in Europe? Evidence from industrial sectors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 1017-1041, May.
- David Currie & Paul Levine, 1985. "Macroeconomic Policy Design in an Interdependent World," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Policy Coordination, pages 228-273 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corden, Warner Max, 1985. "Macroeconomic Policy Interaction under Flexible Exchange Rates: A Two-Country Model," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(205), pages 9-23, February.
- Gilles Oudiz & Jeffrey Sachs, 1984. "Macroeconomic Policy Coordination among the Industrial Economies," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 15(1), pages 1-76.
- Hamada, Koichi, 1976. "A Strategic Analysis of Monetary Interdependence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 677-700, August.
- Patrick J. Kehoe, 1986.
"Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy,"
98, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Kehoe, Patrick J., 1987. "Coordination of fiscal policies in a world economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 349-376, May.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2002. "A simple approach to international monetary policy coordination," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 177-196, June.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Pagano, Marco, 1988.
"The advantage of tying one's hands : EMS discipline and Central Bank credibility,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1055-1075, June.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Marco Pagano, 1991. "The Advantage of Tying One's Hands: EMS Discipline and Central Bank Credibility," NBER Chapters, in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 303-330 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Pagano, Marco, 1986. "The Advantages of Tying One's Hands: EMS Discipline and Central Bank Credibility," CEPR Discussion Papers 135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rockett, Katharine E, 1988. "International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination When Policymakers Do Not Agree on the True Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 318-40, June.
- repec:ant:wpaper:1995012 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nav:ecupna:0002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Javier Puértolas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.