Forecasting metal prices: Do forecasters herd?
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
References listed on IDEAS
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharftstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1992.
" Herd on the Street: Informational Inefficiencies in a Market with Short-Term Speculation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1461-1484, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1990. "Herd on the Street: Informational Inefficiencies in a Market with Short-Term Speculation," NBER Working Papers 3250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Georg Stadtmann & Christian Pierdzioch & Jan Ruelke, 2011. "Scattered Fiscal Forecasts," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2558-2568.
- Dooley, Gillian & Lenihan, Helena, 2005. "An assessment of time series methods in metal price forecasting," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 208-217, September.
- Hsieh, David A & Kulatilaka, Nalin, 1982. " Rational Expectations and Risk Premia in Forward Markets: Primary Metals at the London Metals Exchange," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(5), pages 1199-1207, December.
- Bernhardt, Dan & Campello, Murillo & Kutsoati, Edward, 2006.
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 657-675, June.
- Dan Bernhardt & Murillo Campbello & Edward Kutsoati, 2002. "Who Herds?," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0213, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Sephton, Peter S. & Cochrane, Donald K., 1990. "A note on the efficiency of the London metal exchange," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 341-345, August.
- Ronald Bewley & Denzil G. Fiebig, 2002. "On the herding instinct of interest rate forecasters," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 403-425.
- Marcel Naujoks & Kevin Aretz & Alexander Kerl & Andreas Walter, 2009. "Do German security analysts herd?," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer;Swiss Society for Financial Market Research, vol. 23(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Clinton Watkins & Michael McAleer, 2004. "Econometric modelling of non-ferrous metal prices," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(5), pages 651-701, December.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rebitzky, Rafael R. & Schröder, Michael, 2009.
"Heterogeneity in exchange rate expectations: Evidence on the chartist-fundamentalist approach,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1-2), pages 241-252, May.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Rafael R. Rebitzky & Michael Schröder, 2008. "Heterogeneity in Exchange Rate Expectations: Evidence on the Chartist-Fundamentalist Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 2502, CESifo Group Munich.
- Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1990. "Herd Behavior and Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 465-479, June.
- David Laster & Paul Bennett & In Sun Geoum, 1999. "Rational Bias in Macroeconomic Forecasts," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(1), pages 293-318.
- Pierdzioch, Christian & Rülke, Jan Christoph & Stadtmann, Georg, 2010.
"New evidence of anti-herding of oil-price forecasters,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1456-1459, November.
- Christian Pierdzioch & Jan-Christoph Rülke & Georg Stadtmann, 2010. "New Evidence of Anti-Herding of Oil-Price Forecasters," WHU Working Paper Series - Economics Group 10-04, WHU - Otto Beisheim School of Management.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1981. "The Economics of Superstars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 845-858, December.
- Brenner, Robin J. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Arbitrage, Cointegration, and Testing the Unbiasedness Hypothesis in Financial Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 23-42, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Babalos, Vassilios & Stavroyiannis, Stavros & Gupta, Rangan, 2015. "Do commodity investors herd? Evidence from a time-varying stochastic volatility model," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 46(P2), pages 281-287.
- Gonzalo Cortazar & Cristobal Millard & Hector Ortega & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 2016. "Commodity Price Forecasts, Futures Prices and Pricing Models," NBER Working Papers 22991, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demirer, Rıza & Lee, Hsiang-Tai & Lien, Donald, 2015. "Does the stock market drive herd behavior in commodity futures markets?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 32-44.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Kizys, Renatas, 2015. "Dynamic spillovers between commodity and currency markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 303-319.
- Cummins, Mark & Dowling, Michael & Lucey, Brian M., 2015. "Behavioral influences in non-ferrous metals prices," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 9-22.
- repec:eee:eneeco:v:66:y:2017:i:c:p:399-410 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pierdzioch, Christian & Reid, Monique B. & Gupta, Rangan, 2016.
"Inflation forecasts and forecaster herding: Evidence from South African survey data,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 42-50.
- Christian Pierdzioch & Monique B. Reid & Rangan Gupta, 2014. "Inflation Forecasts and Forecaster Herding: Evidence from South African Survey Data," Working Papers 201455, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Christian Pierdzioch & Monique B. Reid & Rangan Gupta, 2014. "Inflation Forecasts and Forecaster Herding: Evidence from South African Survey Data," Working Papers 21/2014, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Pierdzioch, Christian & Risse, Marian & Rohloff, Sebastian, 2015. "A real-time quantile-regression approach to forecasting gold returns under asymmetric loss," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 299-306.
- Galariotis, Emilios C. & Krokida, Styliani-Iris & Spyrou, Spyros I., 2016.
"Bond market investor herding: Evidence from the European financial crisis,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 367-375.
- Emilios C. Galariotis & Styliani-Iris Krokida & Spyros I. Spyrou, 2016. "Bond market investor herding: Evidence from the European financial crisis," Post-Print hal-01333218, HAL.
- Pierdzioch, Christian & Rülke, Jan-Christoph & Stadtmann, Georg, 2013. "A note on forecasting the prices of gold and silver: Asymmetric loss and forecast rationality," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 294-301.
- Mark Cummins & Brian M. Lucey & Michael M. Dowling, 2014. "Behavioral Influences in Non-Ferrous Metals Prices," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp459, IIIS.
- Agyei-Ampomah, Sam & Gounopoulos, Dimitrios & Mazouz, Khelifa, 2014. "Does gold offer a better protection against losses in sovereign debt bonds than other metals?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 507-521.
More about this item
KeywordsMetal prices; Forecasting; Forecaster (anti-)herding;
- G17 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Financial Forecasting and Simulation
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- L61 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Metals and Metal Products; Cement; Glass; Ceramics
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:37:y:2013:i:1:p:150-158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf .