Consumer Awareness And Use Of Nutrition Labels On Packaged Fresh Meats: A Pilot Study
The Nutritional Labeling and Education Act of 1990 called for the voluntary nutrition labeling of packaged fresh meats in retail stores. The stores had until mid-1994 to meet the Act's provisions. Availability and use of these labels in Louisiana retail stores were examined by a 1997 survey of households. One-half of the responding households perceived that these nutrition labels were in use in stores, and when available, they were used by most respondents. The primary reasons for nonuse include sufficient prior knowledge of nutrient content, insufficient shopping time to check labels, and lack of interest in nutrient content. Family income, household head retired, and interest in preparing healthy meals in the home were statistically significant variables in explaining label readership.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1996. "Determinants Of Consumers' Use Of Nutritional Information On Food Packages," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
- Piedra, Mario A. & Schupp, Alvin R. & Montgomery, Donna E., 1996. "Consumer Use Of Nutrition Labels On Packaged Meats," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 27(2), July.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1975. "The Value of the Ability to Deal with Disequilibria," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 827-46, September.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., 1996. "Determinants of Consumers' Use of Nutritional Information on Food Packages," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(02), pages 303-312, December.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlofdr:26879. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.