Identifying Consumer Preferences for Nutrition Information on Grocery Store Shelf Labels
Nutrition labels can potentially benefit consumers by increasing product knowledge and reducing search costs. However, the global increase in obesity rates leads one to question the effectiveness of current nutrition information formats. Alternative formats for providing nutrition information may be more effective. Shoppers at a major grocery chain participated in choice experiments designed to identify preferences for nutrition information provided on grocery store shelf labels. Shoppers demonstrate a strong affinity for shelf label nutrition information and the presentation of the nutrition information significantly affects their preferences as well. Several demographic variables help to explain differences in preferences.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zwickcenter.uconn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas C. Drichoutis & Panagiotis Lazaridis & Rodolfo M. Nayga, 2005. "Nutrition knowledge and consumer use of nutritional food labels," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(1), pages 93-118, March.
- Wansink, Brian & Sonka, Steven T. & Hasler, Clare M., 2004. "Front-label health claims: when less is more," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 659-667, December.
- Maria L. Loureiro & Azucena Gracia & Rodolfo M. Nayga, 2006. "Do consumers value nutritional labels?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 249-268, June.
- Schupp, Alvin R. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Reed, Debra, 1998. "Consumer Awareness And Use Of Nutrition Labels On Packaged Fresh Meats: A Pilot Study," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(2), July.
- Stefanella Stranieri & Lucia Baldi & Alessandro Banterle, 2010.
"Do Nutrition Claims Matter to Consumers? An Empirical Analysis Considering European Requirements,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 15-33.
- Banterle, Alessandro & Baldi, Lucia & Stranieri, Stefanella, 2008. "Do Nutritional Claims Matter To Consumers? An Empirical Analysis Considering European Requirements," Miscellaneous Papers 37839, Agecon Search.
- Andreas Drichoutis & Rodolfo M. Nayga, Jr. & Panagiotis Lazaridis, 2009.
"Can nutritional label use influence body weight outcomes?,"
2009-05, Agricultural University of Athens, Department Of Agricultural Economics.
- Andreas C. Drichoutis & Rodolfo M. Nayga, Jr. & Panagiotis Lazaridis, 2009. "Can Nutritional Label Use Influence Body Weight Outcomes?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 500-525, November.
- Russo, J Edward, et al, 1986. " Nutrition Information in the Supermarket," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 48-70, June.
- Jayachandran N. Variyam, 2008. "Do nutrition labels improve dietary outcomes?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 695-708.
- Mario F. Teisl & Nancy E. Bockstael & Alan Levy, 2001. "Measuring the Welfare Effects of Nutrition Information," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 133-149.
- Kim, Sung-Yong & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & Capps, Oral, Jr., 2001. "Health Knowledge And Consumer Use Of Nutritional Labels: The Issue Revisited," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(1), April.
- Wiktor Adamowicz & Peter Boxall & Michael Williams & Jordan Louviere, 1998. "Stated Preference Approaches for Measuring Passive Use Values: Choice Experiments and Contingent Valuation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 64-75.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1996. "Determinants Of Consumers' Use Of Nutritional Information On Food Packages," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zwi:fpcrep:120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.