Non-tariff Barriers to Trade Caused by SPS Measures and Customs Procedures with Product Quality Changes
This study develops a methodology to quantify the combined effects of two major nontariff barriers (NTBs), sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures and customs and administrative procedures. We employ a constant elasticity of substitution (CES) utility function with factor-augmenting technical progress to incorporate changes in the quality of goods. We then estimate the effects of these two NTBs in the Japanese cut flower market. Results show that estimates of SPS are biased without considering product quality changes caused by the customs and administrative procedures for highly perishable agricultural products. If these Japanese NTBs were removed, findings suggest there would be a significant increase in cut flower imports by Japan.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberts, Donna & Josling, Timothy E. & Orden, David, 1999. "A Framework for Analyzing Technical Trade Barriers in Agricultural Markets," Technical Bulletins 33560, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- John C. Beghin & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2001.
"Quantitative Policy Analysis of Sanitary, Phytosanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade,"
CEPII research center, issue 87, pages 107-130.
- Beghin, John C. & Bureau, Jean-Christophe, 2005. "Quantitative Policy Analysis of Sanitary, Phytosanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12740, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Beghin, John C. & Bureau, Jean-Christophe, 2001. "Quantitative Policy Analysis of Sanitary, Phytosanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5119, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Li, Jau-Rong & Bailey, DeeVon, 2000.
"Factor And Product Market Tradability And Equilibrium In Pacific Rim Pork Industries,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Li, Jau-Rong & Bailey, DeeVon, 1999. "Factor and Product Market Tradability and Equilibrium in Pacific Rim Pork Industries," Working Papers 127696, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Beghin, John C., 2006.
Staff General Research Papers Archive
12703, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John C. Beghin, 2006. "Nontariff Barriers," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 06-wp438, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- John C. Beghin, 2006. "Nontariff Barriers," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 06-wp438, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Norbert Wilson, 2007. "Examining the Trade Effect of Certain Customs and Administrative Procedures," OECD Trade Policy Papers 42, OECD Publishing.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Steen, Marie, 2006. "Flower Power at the Dutch Flower Auctions? Application of an Inverse Almost Ideal Demand System," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25441, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Calvin, Linda & Krissoff, Barry, 1998. "Technical Barriers To Trade: A Case Study Of Phytosanitary Barriers And U.S. - Japanese Apple Trade," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Hildegunn Kyvik Nordås & Enrico Pinali & Massimo Geloso Grosso, 2006. "Logistics and Time as a Trade Barrier," OECD Trade Policy Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Marette, Stephan & Schiavina, Alessandra, 1998. "Non-tariff Trade Barriers and Consumers' Information: The Case of the EU-US Trade Dispute over Beef," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(4), pages 437-62.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:50087. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.