Dynamic sanitary and phytosanitary trade policy
This paper characterizes the optimal use of sanitary and phytosanitary standards to prevent the introduction of harmful pests and diseases through international trade. Because established pest and disease infestations grow and spread over time their introduction has intertemporal consequences. In a dynamic economic model, an efficient trade policy balances the costs of SPS measures against the discounted stream of the costs of control and social damages that are avoided by using SPS measures, where future growth of any established infestation is accounted for. We examine when phytosanitary trade policy makes good economic sense, when it is efficient to provide full protection against pests and diseases, and when restrictive, but not fully protective trade policy is efficient.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip L. Paarlberg & John G. Lee, 1998. "Import Restrictions in the Presence of a Health Risk: An Illustration Using FMD," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 175-183.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521322249 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lars Olson & Santanu Roy, 2008. "Controlling a biological invasion: a non-classical dynamic economic model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 453-469, September.
- Beghin, John C. & Bureau, Jean-Christophe, 2001.
"Quantitative Policy Analysis of Sanitary, Phytosanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade,"
Staff General Research Papers
5119, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John C. Beghin & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2001. "Quantitative Policy Analysis of Sanitary, Phytosanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 87, pages 107-130.
- Beghin, John C. & Bureau, Jean-Christophe, 2005. "Quantitative Policy Analysis of Sanitary, Phytosanitary and Technical Barriers to Trade," Staff General Research Papers 12740, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Olson, Lars J., 2006. "The Economics of Terrestrial Invasive Species: A Review of the Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- McAusland, Carol & Costello, Christopher, 2004. "Avoiding invasives: trade-related policies for controlling unintentional exotic species introductions," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 954-977, September.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992.
"Protection for Sale,"
21-92, Tel Aviv.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "Protection for Sale," CEPR Discussion Papers 827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992. "Protection For Sale," NBER Working Papers 4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Margolis, Michael & Shogren, Jason F. & Fischer, Carolyn, 2005.
"How trade politics affect invasive species control,"
Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 305-313, February.
- Margolis, Michael & Shogren, Jason, 2004. "How Trade Politics Affect Invasive Species Control," Discussion Papers dp-04-07, Resources For the Future.
- Glauber, Joseph W. & Narrod, Clare A., 2001. "A Rational Risk Policy for Regulating Plant Diseases and Pests," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 125644, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Calvin, Linda & Krissoff, Barry, 1998. "Technical Barriers To Trade: A Case Study Of Phytosanitary Barriers And U.S. - Japanese Apple Trade," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Copeland, Brian R & Taylor, M Scott, 1995. "Trade and Transboundary Pollution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 716-37, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521311120 is not listed on IDEAS
- Norbert L. W. Wilson & Jes�s Ant�n, 2006. "Combining Risk Assessment and Economics in Managing a Sanitary-Phytosanitary Risk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 194-202.
- Whalley, John, 1991. "The Interface between Environmental and Trade Policies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(405), pages 180-89, March.
- Lars J. Olson & Santanu Roy, 2002. "The Economics of Controlling a Stochastic Biological Invasion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1311-1316.
- Christopher Costello & Carol McAusland, 2003. "Protectionism, Trade, and Measures of Damage from Exotic Species Introductions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 964-975.
- repec:reg:ranaly:408 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roberts, Donna & Josling, Timothy E. & Orden, David, 1999. "A Framework for Analyzing Technical Trade Barriers in Agricultural Markets," Technical Bulletins 33560, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Albert K. A. Acquaye & Julian M. Alston & Hyunok Lee & Daniel A. Sumner, 2005. "Economic Consequences of Invasive Species Policies in the Presence of Commodity Programs: Theory and Application to Citrus Canker ," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 498-504.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jeeman:v:60:y:2010:i:1:p:21-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.