Quantification of Sanitary, Phytosanitary, and Technical Barriers to Trade for Trade Policy Analysis
This paper presents promising methodologies for modeling and quantifying non-tariff barriers (NTB) to trade in the agricultural and food sectors. We limit the analysis to sanitary, phytosanitary, and technical regulations that can have an impact on trade and to methods that provide some quantitative estimates of the impact of such barriers on market equilibrium, trade flows, economic efficiency, and welfare. Given the heterogeneous nature of these regulations, a unifying methodology does not exist. Quantification of the effects of such measures has focused on a particular product and has relied on methods that belong to different fields of the economic literature. We provide a concise description and evaluation of the various methods available for a more comprehensive assessment of the impact of NTBs on trade and welfare. We conclude by identifying promising areas for future applied research.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.fapri.iastate.edu/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Swann, Peter & Temple, Paul & Shurmer, Mark, 1996. "Standards and Trade Performance: The UK Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1297-1313, September.
- Falvey, Rodney E, 1989. "Trade, Quality Reputations and Commercial Policy," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 607-22, August.
- Nimon, Wesley & Beghin, John C., 1999.
"Ecolabels and International Trade in the Textile and Apparel Market,"
Staff General Research Papers
1886, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Wesley Nimon & John Beghin, 1999. "Ecolabels and International Trade in the Textile and Apparel Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1078-1083.
- Mahe, Louis-Pascal, 1997. "Environment and Quality Standards in the WTO: New Protectionism in Agricultural Trade? A European Perspective," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(3-4), pages 480-503.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ias:fpaper:01-wp291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.