On the need for more economic assessment of quarantine/SPS policies
Quarantine policy reviews are becoming more sophisticated yet they still focus primarily on the effects of restrictions solely on import‐competing producers. A fuller analysis that includes the consumers demonstrates that even if imported diseases were to wipe out a local industry, the gains to consumers might outweigh the losses to import‐competing producers from removing a ban on imports. This article provides the simplest partial equilibrium framework for thinking more about the economics of quarantine policy measures using an empirical analysis of Australia’s ban on imports of bananas.
Volume (Year): 42 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tanner, Carolyn & Nairn, Malcolm, 1997. "Principles of Australian Quarantine," 1997 Conference (41st), January 22-24, 1997, Gold Coast, Australia 135413, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- MacLaren, D., 1995.
"Uncertainty AVersion and Technical Barriers to Trade: An Australian Example,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
498, The University of Melbourne.
- MacLaren, Donald, 1997. "Uncertainty Aversion and Technical Barriers to Trade: An Australian Example," 1995: Understanding Technical Barriers to Agricultural Trade Conference, December 1995, Tucson, Arizona 51388, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Stuckey, John A. & Anderson, Jock R., 1974. "Demand Analysis of the Sydney Banana Market," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(01), March.
- K.W. Clements & L.A. Sjaastad, 1983. "How Protection Taxes Exporters," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 83-15, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Kym, 1997.
"Are Resource-Abundant Economies Disadvantaged?,"
1997 Conference (41st), January 22-24, 1997, Gold Coast, Australia
135403, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Anderson, Kym, 1998. "Are resource-abundant economies disadvantaged?," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(1), March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aareaj:117286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.