On the Need for More Economic Assessment of Quarantine/SPS Policies
Quarantine policy reviews are becoming more sophisticated following the Uruguay Round’s Agreement on Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Measures and, in Australia’s case, following also the 1996 Nairn Report. Yet they still focus primarily on the effects of restrictions just on import-competing producers. A fuller analysis that includes the consumers demonstrates that even if imported diseases were to wipe out a local industry, the gains to consumers may outweigh the losses to import-competing producers from removing a ban on imports. This paper provides the simplest partial-equilibrium framework for thinking more about the economics of quarantine policy measures. An empirical analysis of Australia’s ban on imports of bananas, used to illustrate the methodology, suggests a move to free trade may well cause a major contraction of banana growing in Australia but the economic welfare gains to consumers are almost certain to far outweigh the losses to producers. The paper concludes by arguing that there is a need for a comprehensive economic review of Australia’s myriad quarantine restrictions.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Kym, 1998.
"Are resource-abundant economies disadvantaged?,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(1), March.
- Anderson, Kym, 1997. "Are Resource-Abundant Economies Disadvantaged?," 1997 Conference (41st), January 22-24, 1997, Gold Coast, Australia 135403, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Stuckey, John A. & Anderson, Jock R., 1974. "Demand Analysis of the Sydney Banana Market," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(01), March.
- MacLaren, Donald, 1997.
"Uncertainty Aversion and Technical Barriers to Trade: An Australian Example,"
1995: Understanding Technical Barriers to Agricultural Trade Conference, December 1995, Tucson, Arizona
51388, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- MacLaren, D., 1995. "Uncertainty AVersion and Technical Barriers to Trade: An Australian Example," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 498, The University of Melbourne.
- K.W. Clements & L.A. Sjaastad, 1983. "How Protection Taxes Exporters," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 83-15, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Tanner, Carolyn & Nairn, Malcolm, 1997. "Principles of Australian Quarantine," 1997 Conference (41st), January 22-24, 1997, Gold Coast, Australia 135413, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1934. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.