Idiosyncratic Consumption Risk and Predictability of the Carry Trade Premium: Euro Area Evidence
The empirical failure of the uncovered interest rate parity condition seems to be the reflection of risk premia on foreign currencies. After the formation of foreign currency portfolios according to interest rate differentials or forward discounts, recent studies suggest that either consumption- or currency return-based pricing factors explain the cross-section of foreign currency portfolio returns. The contribution of this paper is twofold. It shows that the returnbased explanation applies to foreign currency portfolios sorted from the perspective of a Euro Area investor. Secondly, the main results of this paper suggest that the decisive pricing factor, the so called carry trade premium, mirrors business cycle related risks. Times of relatively large amounts of uninsured Euro Area consumption growth risk are associated with an expected increase of the carry trade premium.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1993.
"Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms,"
93-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1994. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles, and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 309-40, May.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1991. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3892, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertler, M. & Gilchrist, S., 1992. "Monetary Policy, Business Cycles and the Behavior of Small Manufacturing Firms," Working Papers 92-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1993. "Monetary policy, business cycles and the behavior of small manufacturing firms," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2004.
"How Much Does Household Collateral Constrain Regional Risk Sharing?,"
NBER Working Papers
10505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2010. "How Much Does Household Collateral Constrain Regional Risk Sharing?," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(2), pages 265-294, April.
- Nick Roussanov & Adrien Verdelhan & Hanno Lustig, 2008.
"Common Risk Factors in Currency Markets,"
2008 Meeting Papers
711, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Shanken, Jay, 1992. "On the Estimation of Beta-Pricing Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(1), pages 1-33.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2002. "Housing Collateral, Consumption Insurance and Risk Premia," Macroeconomics 0211008, EconWPA.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1984. "Forward and spot exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 319-338, November.
- Mathias Hoffmann, 2006.
"Proprietary Income, Entrepreneurial Risk, and the Predictability of U.S. Stock Returns,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1712, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hoffmann, Mathias, 2006. "Proprietary Income, Entrepreneurial Risk, and the Predictability of U.S. Stock Returns," Technical Reports 2006,14, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Mathias Hoffmann, 2005. "Proprietary Income, Entrepreneurial Risk and the Predictability of U.S. Stock Returns," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 229, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hodrick, Robert J, 1992.
"Dividend Yields and Expected Stock Returns: Alternative Procedures for Inference and Measurement,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 357-86.
- Tom Doan, . "OLSHODRICK: RATS procedure to compute Hodrick standard errors," Statistical Software Components RTS00147, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Thomas Nitschka, 2008. "The Risk Premium on the Euro Area Market Portfolio: The Role of Real Estate," IEW - Working Papers 385, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Constantinides, George M, 1990.
"Habit Formation: A Resolution of the Equity Premium Puzzle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 519-43, June.
- G. Constantinides, 1990. "Habit formation: a resolution of the equity premium puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1397, David K. Levine.
- Robert F. Stambaugh, 1999.
NBER Technical Working Papers
0240, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:iewwpx:387. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.