Does euro area membership affect the relation between GDP growth and public debt?
We analyse the relationship between the debt to GDP ratio and real per capita GDP growth for the euro area members by distinguishing between periods of sustainable and non-sustainable debt. Thresholds are theory-based and depend on the macroeconomic framework. If the interest rate exceeds nominal output growth, primary budget surpluses are required to achieve a sustainable debt ratio. The negative impact of the debt to GDP ratio is particularly strong for non sustainable ratios and especially relevant for the euro area. This suggests that the participation in monetary union might entail an additional risk for its members.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Grosse Scharrnstrasse 59, 15230 Frankfurt (Oder)|
Phone: +49 (0)335 5534 2387
Fax: +49 (0)335 5534 2516
Web page: http://www.wiwi.euv-frankfurt-o.de/en/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1998.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1820, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1998. "Government Debt," NBER Working Papers 6470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Elmendorf & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1998. "Government debt," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-09, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Elmendorf, Douglas W. & Mankiw, N, 1999. "Government Debt," Scholarly Articles 2643866, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Fabrizio Balassone & Maura Francese & Angelo Pace, 2011. "Public Debt and Economic Growth in Italy," Quaderni di storia economica (Economic History Working Papers) 11, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- repec:idb:brikps:78877 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates
[This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
11129154, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Madhusudan Mohanty & Fabrizio Zampolli, 2011. "The real effects of debt," BIS Working Papers 352, Bank for International Settlements.
- Baum, Anja & Checherita-Westphal, Cristina & Rother, Philipp, 2012.
"Debt and growth: new evidence for the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1450, European Central Bank.
- Andros Kourtellos & Thanasis Stengos & Chih Ming Tan, 2012.
"The Effect of Public Debt on Growth in Multiple Regimes,"
1210, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Kourtellos, Andros & Stengos, Thanasis & Tan, Chih Ming, 2013. "The effect of public debt on growth in multiple regimes," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 38(PA), pages 35-43.
- Andros Kourtellos & Thanasis Stengos & Chih Ming Tan, 2012. "The Effect of Public Debt on Growth in Multiple Regimes," Working Paper Series 60_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Panizza, Ugo & Presbitero, Andrea F., 2012.
"Public debt and economic growth: Is there a causal effect?,"
POLIS Working Papers
168, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Panizza, Ugo & Presbitero, Andrea F., 2014. "Public debt and economic growth: Is there a causal effect?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 21-41.
- Ugo Panizza & Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2012. "Public Debt and Economic Growth: Is There a Causal Effect?," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 65, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2012.
"Public Debt Overhangs: Advanced-Economy Episodes since 1800,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 69-86, Summer.
- Caner, Mehmet & Grennes,Thomas & Koehler-Geib, Fritzi, 2010. "Finding the tipping point -- when sovereign debt turns bad," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5391, The World Bank.
- Robert E. Hall, 2009.
"By How Much Does GDP Rise if the Government Buys More Output?,"
NBER Working Papers
15496, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall, 2009. "By How Much Does GDP Rise If the Government Buys More Output?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 40(2 (Fall)), pages 183-249.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2011 (Arabic)," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 394, 7.
- Jaejoon Woo & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2010. "Public Debt and Growth," IMF Working Papers 10/174, International Monetary Fund.
- Henning Bohn, 1998. "The Behavior of U. S. Public Debt and Deficits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 949-963.
- Christian Dreger & Hans-Ulrich Brautzsch, 1999. "Firm Investment Behaviour in Germany: An Explanation Based on Seasonal Cointegration Techniques," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 219(3+4), pages 284-297, September.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2011," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 392, 7.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:euvwdp:327. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.