Public Debt and Economic Growth in Italy
In this paper we investigate the link between government debt-to-GDP ratio and real per capita income growth in Italy over 1861-2009. We model our regression analysis on a standard production function. Our results support the hypotheses of a negative relation between public debt and growth and of a stronger effect of foreign debt compared to domestic debt before World War I. The effect of public debt on growth appears to work mainly through reduced investment. These results help explain the different reaction of per capita GDP growth to the debt-ratio over 1880-1914 (when the negative correlation between the two variables is particularly strong) and 1985-2007 (when the correlation appears to break down when debt starts declining). A descriptive analysis of fiscal policy in these two periods suggests that differences in the timing of fiscal consolidation as well as in the size and composition of the budget are additional explanatory factors.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhaskara Rao, 2005.
"Estimating Short and Long Run Relationships: A Guide to the Applied Economist,"
- B. Bhaskara Rao, 2007. "Estimating short and long-run relationships: a guide for the applied economist," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(13), pages 1613-1625.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988.
"Financing vs. Forgiving a Debt Overhang,"
NBER Working Papers
2486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Checherita-Westphal, Cristina & Rother, Philipp, 2010. "The impact of high and growing government debt on economic growth: an empirical investigation for the euro area," Working Paper Series 1237, European Central Bank.
- Raffaello Bronzini & Paolo Piselli, 2006. "Determinants of long-run regional productivity: the role of R&D, human capital and public infrastructure," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 597, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Christophe Kamps, 2004.
"The Dynamic Effects of Public Capital: VAR Evidence for 22 OECD Countries,"
Kiel Working Papers
1224, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Christophe Kamps, 2005. "The Dynamic Effects of Public Capital: VAR Evidence for 22 OECD Countries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 533-558, August.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Maura Francese & Angelo Pace, 2008. "Italian Public debt since national unification. A reconstruction of the time series," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 31, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bottazzi, Laura & Peri, Giovanni, 2004. "The Dynamics of R&D and Innovation in the Short-Run and in the Long-Run," CEPR Discussion Papers 4479, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:workqs:qse_11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.