Liquidity dynamics in an electronic open limit order book: An event study approach
We analyze the dynamics of liquidity in Xetra, an electronic open limit order book. We use the Exchange Liquidity Measure (XLM), a measure of the cost of a roundtrip trade of given size V. This measure captures the price and the quantity dimension of liquidity. We present descriptive statistics, analyze the cross-sectional determinants of the XLM measure and document its intraday pattern. Our main contribution is an analysis of the dynamics of the XLM measure around liquidity shocks. We use intraday event study methodology to analyze how a shock affects the XLM measure. We consider two sets of liquidity shocks, large transactions (which are endogenous events because they originate in the market) and Bloomberg ticker news items (which are exogenous events because they originate outside of the market). We find that resiliency after large transactions is high, i.e., liquidity quickly reverts to normal levels. We further document that large trades take place at times when liquidity is unusually high. We interpret this as evidence that large transactions are timed. The Bloomberg ticker news items do not have a discernible effect on liquidity.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0221 / 470 5607|
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://cfr-cologne.de/english/version06/html/home.php
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kasch-Haroutounian, Maria & Theissen, Erik, 2006.
"Competition between exchanges: Euronext versus Xetra,"
CFR Working Papers
07-10, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Maria Kasch-Haroutounian & Erik Theissen, 2009. "Competition between Exchanges: Euronext versus Xetra," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 15(1), pages 181-207.
- Kasch-Haroutounian, Maria & Theissen, Erik, 2006. "Competition between exchanges: Euronext versus Xetra," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/19, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Angelo Ranaldo, 2002. "Market Dynamics Around Public Information Arrivals," FAME Research Paper Series rp45, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Beltran-Lopez, Héléna & Giot, Pierre & Grammig, Joachim G., 2009.
"Commonalities in the order book,"
CFR Working Papers
09-05, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- BELTRAN, Helena & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim, 2005. "Commonalities in the order book," CORE Discussion Papers 2005011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Helena, BELTRAN & Pierre, GIOT & Joachim, GRAMMIG, 2005. "Commonalities in the order book," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2005014, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2005.
"Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity,"
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2001. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 2889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2005. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Post-Print hal-00459785, HAL.
- FOUCAULT, Thierry & KADAN, Ohad & KANDEL, Eugene, 2001. "Limit order book as a market for liquidity," Les Cahiers de Recherche 728, HEC Paris.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2003. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Discussion Paper Series dp321, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2011. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Working Papers hal-00597190, HAL.
- John R. Graham & Jennifer L. Koski & Uri Loewenstein, 2006. "Information Flow and Liquidity around Anticipated and Unanticipated Dividend Announcements," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(5), pages 2301-2336, September.
- van Achter, Mark, 2008. "Dynamic limit order market with diversity in trading horizons," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/46, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Large, Jeremy, 2007. "Measuring the resiliency of an electronic limit order book," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Lee, Charles M C & Mucklow, Belinda & Ready, Mark J, 1993. "Spreads, Depths, and the Impact of Earnings Information: An Intraday Analysis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 345-374.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfrwps:1114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.