House Prices, Housing Development Costs, and the Supply of New Single-Family Housing in German Counties and Cities
This paper employs panel data on 413 counties and cities over 2004-2009 to investigate the local supply of new single-family housing in Germany. Construction activity in local housing markets (measured by new housing permits related to the local housing stock) is modeled as a function of local home prices and new housing development costs, with the latter including local costs related to construction and local costs of vacant land. The results suggest the permit rate in a location to be positively linked to higher local home price levels and recent increases in development costs, while higher levels of replacement costs dampen construction activity. The average price elasticity of new single-family home permits is considerably less than one, supporting recently published estimates based on national time-series data.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
NBER Working Papers
2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- SALMON, Pierre, 1987.
"Decentralization as an incentive scheme,"
Institut des Mathématiques Economiques – Document de travail de l’I.M.E. (1974-1993)
98, Institut des Mathématiques Economiques. LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne.
- Meen, Geoffrey, 2000. "Housing Cycles and Efficiency," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(2), pages 114-40, May.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko & Raven E. Saks, 2005.
"Urban Growth and Housing Supply,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2062, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Glaeser, Edward & Saiz, Albert & Gyourko, Joseph, 2008.
"Housing Supply and Housing Bubbles,"
2962640, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Oliver Lerbs & Christian Oberst & Michael Jorch, .
"Auswirkungen der Finanz- und Schuldenkrise auf den deutschen Eigenheimsektor,"
201033, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary.
- Lerbs, Oliver & Oberst, Christian & Jorch, Michael, 2010. "Auswirkungen der Finanz- und Schuldenkrise auf den deutschen Eigenheimsektor," CAWM Discussion Papers 33, Center of Applied Economic Research Münster (CAWM), University of Münster.
- Topel, Robert H & Rosen, Sherwin, 1988. "Housing Investment in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 718-40, August.
- Arthur Grimes & Andrew Aitken, 2010. "Housing Supply, Land Costs and Price Adjustment," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 325-353.
- Hwang, Min & Quigley, John M., 2006.
"Economic Fundamentals in Local Housing Markets: Evidence from U.S. Metropolitan Regions,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt79d325cm, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Min Hwang & John M. Quigley, 2006. "Economic Fundamentals In Local Housing Markets: Evidence From U.S. Metropolitan Regions," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 425-453.
- Ball, Michael & Meen, Geoffrey & Nygaard, Christian, 2010. "Housing supply price elasticities revisited: Evidence from international, national, local and company data," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 255-268, December.
- Glaeser, Edward L., 2008. "Cities, Agglomeration, and Spatial Equilibrium," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199290444, March.
- Oliver Lerbs & Christian Oberst, 2011.
"Explaining the Spatial Variation in Homeownership Rates: Results for German Regions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3377, CESifo Group Munich.
- Oliver W. Lerbs & Christian A. Oberst, 2014. "Explaining the Spatial Variation in Homeownership Rates: Results for German Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(5), pages 844-865, May.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig, 2011. "Rethinking the Federal Bias Toward Homeownership," Scholarly Articles 8052149, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Takatoshi Tabuchi, 2001. "On Interregional Price Differentials," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 52(1), pages 104-115.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David N. Weil, 1988.
"The Baby Boom, The Baby Bust, and the Housing Market,"
NBER Working Papers
2794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Weil, David N., 1989. "The baby boom, the baby bust, and the housing market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 235-258, May.
- Mark Andrew & Geoffrey Meen, 2003. "House Price Appreciation, Transactions and Structural Change in the British Housing Market: A Macroeconomic Perspective," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 99-116, 03.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John, 1998.
"The Housing Market and Regional Commuting and Migration Choices,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 45(4), pages 420-46, September.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John, 1998. "The Housing Market and Regional Commuting and Migration Choices," CEPR Discussion Papers 1945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yoshikawa, Hiroshi, 1980. "On the "q" Theory of Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 739-43, September.
- DiPasquale, Denise, 1999. "Why Don't We Know More about Housing Supply?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 9-23, January.
- Richard K. Green & Stephen Malpezzi & Stephen K. Mayo, 1999.
"Metropolitan-Specific Estimates of the Price Elasticity of Supply of Housing, and Their Sources,"
Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers
99-16, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Richard K. Green & Stephen Malpezzi & Stephen K. Mayo, 2005. "Metropolitan-Specific Estimates of the Price Elasticity of Supply of Housing, and Their Sources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 334-339, May.
- Joseph Gyourko, 2009. "Housing Supply," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 295-318, 05.
- Saks, Raven E., 2008. "Job creation and housing construction: Constraints on metropolitan area employment growth," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 178-195, July.
- Goodman, Allen C. & Thibodeau, Thomas G., 2008. "Where are the speculative bubbles in US housing markets?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 117-137, June.
- Maennig, Wolfgang & Dust, Lisa, 2008. "Shrinking and growing metropolitan areas asymmetric real estate price reactions?: The case of German single-family houses," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 63-69, January.
- HENDERSON, J. Vernon & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"On strategic community development,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1502, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Malpezzi, Stephen & Maclennan, Duncan, 2001. "The Long-Run Price Elasticity of Supply of New Residential Construction in the United States and the United Kingdom," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 278-306, September.
- Mayer, Christopher J. & Somerville, C. Tsuriel, 2000. "Residential Construction: Using the Urban Growth Model to Estimate Housing Supply," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 85-109, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa12p258. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.